Process Orchestration with SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio
In my last blog post about Orchestrating Robotic Process Automation with SAP Workflow Service, we have seen how to put together of process orchestration and process automation to achieve business agility and operation efficiency at the same time. Specifically, we have learned the first option about how to extend and orchestrate a process about Mass Maintenance of Sales Prices in SAP S4/HANA or SAP S4/HANA Cloud automated by a SAP Intelligent Robotic Process Automation Bot with SAP Workflow Service by
- adding email notification for communication and collaboration with mail task,
- adding approval with user task for visibility and controlling,
- triggering the SAP Intelligent RPA Bot via API trigger with service task.
In the this blog post, we’ll see how to implement the very same scenario for sales manager Janet of Almika, who already has the sales prices maintenance automated by implementing the predefined scenario about Mass Maintenance of Sales Price in SAP S4/HANA or SAP S4/HANA Cloud from SAP Intelligent RPA Store, and now seeking additional visibility and controlling on the automated processes by SAP Intelligent RPA. We’ll help Janet to achieve so with the built-in process orchestration capability of SAP intelligent RPA Cloud Studio as option two by
- Creating a new project with SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio
- Importing and Reusing the same predefined desktop package from SAP Intelligent RPA Store about Mass Maintenance of Sales Price for SAP S4/HANA or SAP S4/HANA Cloud as a reusable skill.
- Extending and orchestrating the imported scenario(skill) above about Mass Maintenance of Sales Prices with built-in SAP Workflow integration capabilities in Cloud Studio of SAP Intelligent RPA 2.0, which include the build block(skill): automation, user task and process.
- Generating a package for the project and deploying to SAP Intelligent RPA Factory
- Running the newly extended process with API Trigger
You may refer to the official SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio User Guide about Reuse Desktop Packages and Build Processes for detail.
Now let’s have an end-to-end steps of Option Two about process orchestration with SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio.
- You have setup a SAP Intelligent RPA tenant, trial version is also fine.
- A desktop package to be reused in SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio.
- You have gone through this Tutorial to Get Started with SAP Workflow Service
Step 1: Create a project with SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio, and reuse a desktop package in the project
In this video, we’ll learn how to:
- Download and extract a predefined package’s source project from SAP Intelligent RPA Store. For example, Mass Maintenance of Sales Price for SAP S4/HANA or SAP S4/HANA Cloud
- Export the package of the target desktop project with SAP Intelligent RPA Desktop Studio, which will be reused in a project with SAP Intelligent RPACloud Studio.
- Create a new project with SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio.
- Import the exported package to the Cloud Studio project, and set its scenarios to be reused as skills, which could be used in the process modeling.
Step 2: Create a user task for approval, and design a process to orchestrate the approval user task and the skill from desktop package of SAP Intelligent RPA
In this video, we’ll learn how to:
- Create a user task for approval, and design an approval form to show the details of approval request.
- Create a process to orchestrate the approval user task and the skill of MaintainSalesPrices from the desktop package. If approved, trigger the SAP Intelligent RPA bot(listed as MaintainSalesPrices skill) for process automation.
Step 3: Generate a package for the project and deploy to SAP Intelligent RPA Factory
In this video, we’ll learn:
- Generate a package for the project.
- Release the package
- Deploy the package by adding it to an environment and adding a trigger. In this sample, we’ll add an API trigger to the process.
Step 4: Run the process with API Trigger
In this video, we’ll learn:
- How to access the built-in SAP Workflow fiori launchpad for SAP Intelligent RPA, to monitor the workflow definition and my inbox for user task. More detail available here.
- How to trigger the process with REST API. More information available here.
- The URL of API Trigger comes from the API Trigger configuration, for example, https://api.irpa-trial.cfapps.eu10.hana.ondemand.com/runtime/v1/apiTriggers/2112e0d8-a948-4a6c-9183-e1209138b65d/runs
- custom http header: irpa-api-key
- payload body
- Authentication: OAuth 2.0 and Grant type as ClientCredentials.
- Client ID: The client id from the service key of your SAP Intelligent RPA tenant
- Client Secret: The client secret from the service key of your SAP Intelligent RPA tenant
- Token Service URL: The authentication url to request access OAuth2.0 token from from the service key of your SAP Intelligent RPA tenant. For example, https://******trial.authentication.eu10.hana.ondemand.com/oauth/token
We have learned two options to put together Process Automation and Process Orchestration with SAP Intelligent RPA and SAP Workflow Service, orchestrating and extending the predefined SAP Intelligent RPA scenario about Mass Maintenance of Sales Prices for SAP S4/HANAor SAP S4/HANA Cloud by adding additional approval with user task for visibility, triggering the intelligent bot through API for process automation, and state change notification with email etc.
- Option 1: Explicitly Orchestrating the Robotic Process Automation with SAP Workflow Service
- Option 2: Built-in Process Orchestration with SAP intelligent RPA Cloud Studio(this blog post)
There is a SAP Workflow Service instance in place for both options in the background. Both process design in SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio, and workflow design support user task, conditional processing, and triggering a sub process or skill in common.
The workflow design of SAP Workflow Service offers more build blocks such as Script Task, Mail Task, Service Task, Intermediate Message etc in a fine granularity. While SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio only can use skills(user task, automation, process) in the process modeling in higher level granularity. Automation within Cloud Studio offers different built-in zero-code Activities such as Web, Excel, Outlook etc, and Custom Script for coding. However, be aware of that imported desktop package and Automation are exclusive in a project of SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio.
In addition, an SAP Intelligent RPA Bot can be triggered through different types(Attended, API, Schedule) of Triggers, while each trigger of an SAP Intelligent RPA Bot also provides Notifers such as Email, API(http call back) and CAI(SAP Conversational AI), which can notify or invoke external service about change of its states. Therefore, with these inbound and outbound communication mechanism, it is also possible to integrate an SAP Intelligent RPA Bot with any external workflow management or business process management tools.