Debriefing: SAP Community Call about the upcoming SAP Master Data Governance, cloud edition
Christian Geiseler opened the session with an overview of this new, complementary deployment option. In a nutshell, he covered the following key aspects:
- New offering fully in line with SAP’s integration strategy (see also the article about SAP Master Data Governance, cloud edition)
- Availability of public trial version with limited scope to get a hands-on feeling (see also Christian’s blog post announcing the public trial)
- Positioning within the SAP Master Data Governance product portfolio
- Benefit of a federated MDG approach (see also Markus Kuppe’s blog post about the roadmap to federated MDG)
The participants were very interested and raised a lot of questions. Most of which were answered by the SAP product experts, either verbally or by written replies in the Q&A window. In summary, the 45 minutes were fully packed with content and questions/answers. Let me add a few questions that were raised, but could not be answered due to the limited time, and provide you with some additional links that may help in getting the full picture (and which I had accidentally shared only to the panelists and not to all participants in the call. Sorry for that!):
What is the technology behind SAP Master Data Governance, cloud edition?
- SAP Master Data Governance, cloud edition is based on SAP Business Technology Platform ABAP Environment
Where do I find the FAQ page related to SAP Master Data Governance, cloud edition?
- The SAP Community Topic page for SAP Master Data Governance has a dedicated sub-page for FAQs about SAP Master Data Governance, cloud edition
Where can I get more info about the concept of federated master data governance?
An SAP Community blog post informs about a video on federated MDG.
What is triggering the communication with SAP Master Data Integration, and does this service require development skills?
- SAP Master Data Integration will become the central layer for sharing and accessing master data in any system landscape. SAP Master Data Integration provides APIs to send or to retrieve master data. The communication with SAP Master Data Integration is triggered from the applications. Create, Update, or Delete requests are sent to Master Data Integration and put into an event log, from where the master data changes can be retrieved by the consuming applications.
- SAP Master Data Integration does not require development skills. The underlying SAP One Domain Model supports extensibility.
How does SAP Master Data Integration determine which data needs to be provided for which system?
- SAP Master Data Integration uses the master data orchestration service, which consists of the following key components:
- A maintenance UI for the definition of master data or parts thereof, and their distribution targets and times. This also includes rules, for example, status dependency.
- A distribution runtime used by SAP Master Data Integration service at the time of execution to find out what needs to be distributed where, and when.
- A UI with monitoring and error resolution capabilities.
Where can I find more about SAP One Domain Model and SAP Master Data Integration?
- Watch the recording from SAP TechEd 2020 about One Domain Model and SAP Master Data Integration:
- Read the SAP Help Portal Documentation about SAP Master Data Integration and the SAP Community Post by Rui Nogueira
- Visit the SAP API Business Hub and choose Explorers -> SAP One Domain Model
- Join SAP Community Call about SAP One Domain Model in Action on March 16, 2021
I hope you enjoyed our call. On behalf of the participating SAP product experts I’d like to thank you for your interest, and also a big thanks to Mynyna Chau for hosting the call.
I’m looking forward to welcoming you to the next SAP Community Call about SAP Master Data Governance.
One more remark: Both in the call and in the SAP Community discussion forum we received questions on how to access the public trial version of SAP Master Data Governance, cloud edition, how to avoid pitfalls when logging on for the first time, and how to go about the trial in general. This answered question is helpful in this context.