UI5con@SAP ON AIR 2021 Call for Speakers – We’re Back!
One year ago, we had big plans for a great on-site event in St. Leon-Rot. Well, as you know, 2020 was not a great year to prepare events ahead of time, so we had to change our plans – UI5con ON AIR was born! As a truly worldwide virtual event, it was a great success and we had good feedback all around.
Since 2021 is still a bit shaky (planning-wise), we decided to go virtual once more for UI5con@SAP ON AIR 2021. We would have loved to meet you in person again, but this will have to wait for another year. But hey: Let’s make the best of it, right? Last year’s event was exciting after all!
And that’s where you come in!
First of all: Mark your calendars. 🙂 This is when the magic will happen:
June 16-17, 2021
We’re still working on the details, so please stay tuned for more information on the exact times and the platform.
And then there’s the…
Call for Speakers
As always, we want to see some exciting topics, projects, and examples of UI5 in action. If there is something you’d like to share or showcase from the great big world of UI5 and beyond, UI5con is the place to be. We have started the call for speakers and you have time to submit your ideas until April 06, 2021. You can submit your proposals here:
Most of you know the drill. Nevertheless, here is some background information.
You can choose between two formats:
- Lightning talk (20 minutes): In principle, every topic can be the subject of a lightning talk. This format is particularly suitable to discuss ideas, present own projects that you’re currently working on, or introduce calls for collaboration. The most important aspect is that you can sum up your message in a nutshell.
- Lecture (40 minutes): Here too, every topic can be presented. This format is ideal to talk a bit more extensively about something you have specific knowledge of. And as this is a developer conference, rather focus on live coding and demos than on slides – of course this depends on your topic. But limit the scope: 40 minutes may seem like a long time, but time passes quickly, and you won’t be able to cover “Everything about Project X”. Instead, pick a useful aspect, or a particular technique, or walk through a simple program.
All presentations must be delivered in English.
The call for speakers is aimed at whoever is interested in sharing ideas, experiences, or thoughts on OpenUI5, SAPUI5 or any project related to UI5. We’d like to strike a balance between speakers from the various fields: consultants, developers, architects, administrators, designers, hobby UI5 developers, SAP partners, students, SAP employees… Aspects like your employment relationship or, for that matter, any relationship to SAP don’t influence your chances. We strive to be a welcoming conference for first-time speakers and to have a diverse speaker lineup.
As usual: UI5con is not an official SAP event. It’s organized by the UI5 community with the assistance of the UI5 development department, so unfortunately, we can’t pay any speaker compensation.
So, what type of content we are looking for? In short: Any topic that helps others in their everyday work as UI5 developers is welcome. We clearly prefer talks that haven’t been presented before, but if your proposal fits the brief and wows us, we might include it anyway. Here are some ideas:
- Share your experience from your own UI5-related projects.
- Show best practices on how to use UI5 better or avoid pitfalls.
- Give a deep dive into a special topic, such as integrating UI5 with other technologies, devices, or platforms.
As the level of UI5 knowledge of the audience can range from rookie to master, it is not really all about being an excellent UI5 developer talking about the latest capabilities of UI5 – we are also looking for topics helping beginners to find their way.
If your submission sounds like a sales pitch for your company’s product/service, you might want to rethink this. If you talk about your “baby”, it shouldn’t be pure marketing, so it’s therefore particularly important that in your talk you describe the usage in projects and with clients as well as brick-world examples.
As soon as you have decided for an idea, it’s important that you describe your topic properly to us. Use the available space on the submission form to describe your idea as detailed as possible so that the jury understands what your proposal is all about. You have characters to convince us!
Always ask yourself the question: “When I read my abstract, do I get the idea of the topic and would I want to join this session myself?” What would you say makes your session proposal special? Explain why people will want to attend and what they’ll take away from it.
After the call for speakers has been completed, all proposals will be evaluated by the UI5con@SAP ON AIR 2021 program jury based on various criteria including: quality and level of details of the proposed idea, its relevance to the UI5 community and the overall balance of the conference program.
And when we say “all” proposals, we mean ALL proposals! No matter who submitted it, whether they’re coming from inside SAP or from the external community – they all will be evaluated by the program jury. Since we really want to have a diverse program, in the past we actually preferred submissions from outside of SAP when they received the same rating as a submission coming from an SAP employee. If you have seen more sessions from SAP than from the external community on past UI5con agendas, this was generally because we got more submissions from SAP employees than from outside. Remember: Not all SAP employees that we have as speakers are from the UI5 development departments. We treat them like UI5 users from outside of SAP!
Every jury member gets access to all submissions and assesses each proposal thoroughly by awarding a rating between one and ten. Finally, the average is calculated from all assessments and the best proposals are accepted according to the available slots. Needless to say: Each vote counts equally.
So, don’t be shy, put your thinking caps on, and tell us about your ideas. If you have any questions, leave a comment and we will assist you. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
- UI5con ON AIR 2021: June 16-17, 2021
- Deadline for submissions: April 06, 2021 (23:59 CEST) -> submit your idea now!
- All submitters will be notified in late April
- We will announce the exact date in time via the @UI5con twitter handle, our homepage, and of course also here.