In December 2020 we officially announced the release for SAP Data Intelligence 3.1 on-premise edition, which among other things introduced new Pipeline operators, a brand new backup and recovery feature*, and a completely revamped Metadata Explorer user experience.
In the same month SAP also hosted their first virtual TechEd event, free to the general public. There the Data Intelligence product team hosted several workshops that gave a limited amount of TechEd participants a guided hands-on experience on the latest version of SAP Data Intelligence and its new features.
Today I am excited to announce the release of SAP Data Intelligence 3.1 trial edition on SAP CAL, accompanied with a self-guided version of the TechEd workshops.
With the trial edition, you can use all features of SAP Data Intelligence for 30 days. You are not charged for the usage of SAP Data Intelligence, trial edition. You only need to cover the expenses of the cloud infrastructure of your choice.
The trial instance comes pre-configured with the following connections, which will also contain the datasets required to complete the workshop content and tutorials from the 3.0 trial release from last year:
- An S3, Google Cloud Storage or Azure Data Lake storage connection (Depending on your chosen cloud platform)
- Smart Data Lake (SDL) connection for use with Machine Learning scenarios
- A local Vora database connection
- A local HANA database connection
- This connects to a local containerized SAP HANA database for training purposes only.
- The licensed edition of SAP Data Intelligence will require a standalone SAP HANA database to be installed separately, if required.
If you’re already familiar with using Trial Edition then you will be happy to hear of two new enhancements in this release:
- Reduced deployment time down from 4 hours to approx. 2 hours
- You will no longer require the use of a Windows jumphost or having to modify your hosts file to access Data Intelligence when deployed on Google Cloud
How to get started?
To get your hands on the SAP Data Intelligence, trial edition, you need to first have a cloud account with Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure. Afterwards you can deploy the trial edition through SAP Cloud Appliance Library and by following the Getting Started guide.
If you’re new to SAP CAL or SAP Data Intelligence trial edition then go to SAP Developer Center for a more in-depth introduction and guide.
TechEd tutorials and video walkthrough
TechEd workshop tutorials for SAP Data Intelligence cover the new features introduced in the Metadata Explorer and the Pipeline Modeler. They are linked below, but you will also find them as a separate tile in the SAP Data Intelligence Trial Edition launchpad.
- DAT263 – Create and Manage End-to-End Data Pipelines with SAP Data Intelligence
- DAT163 – A Data Governance Journey with SAP Data Intelligence
If you don’t have access to a cloud hyperscaler account or if you’d like to see a recorded walkthrough of the tutorials you can also check out the videos at SAP HANA Academy.
Note that these tutorials can also be completed using a standard Data Intelligence Cloud instance or Data Intelligence 3.1 on-premise edition. You will simply need to first upload the datasets from the GitHub pages linked above.
If you have questions, problems or proposals related to the Data Intelligence Trial Edition please post them as comments to this blog, or to the SAP Community at https://answers.sap.com/tags/73555000100800000791
For issues directly related to the tutorial content please refer to the hyperlink labelled “issues” at the bottom of the front page of the tutorial.
* SAP Data Intelligence 3.1 Trial Edition is not enabled to utilize the new backup and recovery feature. However a video walkthrough of this new feature can be found here (User registration / login required).