Have you come across complaints from business users that the outputs take a long time for printing?
We had this issue of printing slowness.
When a customer came into the shop, bought some product, and made the payment, the employee would run our custom transaction which would trigger a smartform and a Payment receipt would be generated.
There were many such shops. Some of the shops reported that there were times when the customer had to wait for about 1-2 minutes before the receipt was printed. There were times when the receipt was generated within 10-15 seconds.
This is how the business described the issue to our development team. We did not have much info other than the custom transaction.
On further probing, it was revealed that they were issuing a print in Black & White.
Trying to find the cause
With this limited information, we initially thought that it was some issue related to Basis which somehow caused a slowness.
Also, being ready with trace in the Production system waiting for the shop-employee to run the custom transaction and analyzing the issue did not seem plausible.
We tried setting trace in Quality system, but all seemed good from ABAP side.
Urgency from Business
The business wanted to get this resolved on high priority.
The issue was known but the cause was not known and so there was no replication of issue possible.
So, we set out on a journey (which in hindsight, seems a long route 😛 ) to find the issue first and then hopefully resolve it quickly. We started to gather all the data and analyze the data to find the issue.
For people who are interested in the journey, I request you to stick around.
The cause of the issue was a marketing image on the bill. The image (which was uploaded as a color image in transaction SE78) was regarding a new app the company had created for online orders that took up almost 30 % of the page.
The image was printed based on some condition. When we had the image on the printout, the printout came out slow. When there was no image in the printout, the print came fast. (The development team was not aware of this when the issue came to us)
I did some reading later and found that every time a smartform is printed the graphic gets loaded in table TST03 and the table gets large and this slows down the printing. In our case, the image was non-compressed and quite large. (This image was 18cm x 6cm non-compressed color image.)
The journey – Data Gathering and Analysis
We decided to gather details like the Bill Number, Spool number the detailed times of the printouts and stored them in a custom table and created a report that would update this table. The report ran as a background job every 30 minutes in the system.
We created the custom table as shown below:
Please note, that I have added the link of this post on the image to avoid use of image without credits
We added a few lines of code after calling the smartform.
DATA: lt_spool TYPE TABLE OF zspool. CALL FUNCTION g_fmname EXPORTING control_parameters = g_control_parameters output_options = g_output_options . . . . . . IMPORTING job_output_info = g_output_data EXCEPTIONS formatting_error = 1 internal_error = 2 send_error = 3 user_canceled = 4 OTHERS = 5. IF sy-subrc = 0. READ TABLE g_output_data-spoolids INDEX 1 INTO lv_spool. IF sy-subrc EQ 0. APPEND INITIAL LINE TO lt_spool ASSIGNING <ls_spool>. <ls_spool>-document_num = g_bill_number. <ls_spool>-spool = lv_spool. ENDIF. MODIFY zspool FROM TABLE lt_spool. IF sy-subrc EQ 0. COMMIT WORK. ENDIF. ENDIF.
Some excerpts from the custom report
* The report ran every 30 minutes CALL FUNCTION 'START_TIME_DETERMINE' EXPORTING duration = 30 unit = 'MIN' IMPORTING start_date = lv_date start_time = lv_time CHANGING end_date = sy-datum end_time = sy-uzeit EXCEPTIONS factory_calendar_not_found = 1 date_out_of_calendar_range = 2 date_not_valid = 3 unit_conversion_error = 4 si_unit_missing = 5 parameters_not_valid = 6 OTHERS = 7. * Getting the bill numbers SELECT belnr FROM bkpf INTO TABLE lt_bkpf WHERE cpudt GE lv_date AND cputm GE lv_time. IF sy-subrc EQ 0. * Selecting the relevant documents SELECT * FROM zspool INTO TABLE gt_spool FOR ALL ENTRIES IN lt_bkpf WHERE document_num = lt_bkpf-belnr AND status NE ‘9’. “Status 9 implies process completed ENDIF. * Fetch the spool requests data IF gt_spool IS NOT INITIAL. SELECT rqident rqcretime FROM tsp01 INTO TABLE gt_tsp01 FOR ALL ENTRIES IN gt_spool WHERE rqident = gt_spool-spool. SELECT pjident pjnummer pjstatus pjstrttime pjaendtime pjhendtime FROM tsp02 INTO TABLE gt_tsp02 FOR ALL ENTRIES IN gt_spool WHERE pjident = gt_spool-spool. ENDIF. LOOP AT gt_spool ASSIGNING <ls_spool>. * Making the time stamps more readable to the eye * for storing in the custom table READ TABLE gt_tsp01 ASSIGNING <ls_tsp01> WITH KEY rqident = <ls_spool>-spool BINARY SEARCH. IF sy-subrc EQ 0. <ls_spool>-rqcret_date = <ls_tsp01>-rqcretime+0(8). <ls_spool>-rqcret_time = <ls_tsp01>-rqcretime+8(6). ENDIF. READ TABLE gt_tsp02 ASSIGNING <ls_tsp02> WITH KEY pjident = <ls_spool>-spool BINARY SEARCH. IF sy-subrc EQ 0. <ls_spool>-pjstatus = <ls_tsp02>-pjstatus. <ls_spool>-pjstrt_date = <ls_tsp02>-pjstrttime+0(8). <ls_spool>-pjstrt_time = <ls_tsp02>-pjstrttime+8(6). <ls_spool>-pjaend_date = <ls_tsp02>-pjaendtime+0(8). <ls_spool>-pjaend_time = <ls_tsp02>-pjaendtime+8(6). <ls_spool>-pjhend_date = <ls_tsp02>-pjhendtime+0(8). <ls_spool>-pjhend_time = <ls_tsp02>-pjhendtime+8(6). ENDIF. ENDLOOP. MODIFY zspool FROM TABLE gt_spool.
And just like that, the report was ready. We transported the report to Production and let the batch job run for a week. At the end of the week, we had gathered enough data.
- There was not much time gap between time at which spool was created and time of output request creation suggesting that there was not much wrong at the ABAP side after the smartform was called and spool generated.
- Next, there were records where there was a considerable time gap between Output request creation and Output request transferred to Print server.
- We checked the spools of a bunch of these records and they had the Marketing Color Image.
- We checked the spools of those records where there wasn’t as considerable a time gap and they had NO Marketing Image.
SO THAT WAS IT…
We knew the issue now and quickly replicated this in Development system. We ran our report and the data in the table looked like this.
The top 2 entries were spools with the Marketing Image (a time gap of almost 40 seconds)
The next 2 entries were without the Image (time gap of just about 7 seconds)
Clearly it was the large image that was causing the issue. But since we knew that the final receipts issued to the customer were in Black & White, we uploaded the marketing image as a Black & White compressed image in SE78 again.
We adjusted the smartform to print Black & White Image. We tested this in Development system. We ran the report and looked at the numbers. The the time gap was just under 15 seconds (a considerable improvement).
We moved the changes to Production and received a good feedback from the Business. Issue Resolved 🙂
One may argue that we made a mountain out of a mole hill and did a lot to find out nothing significant. But I would argue that a lack of information led us on this path.
The issue resolution was urgent for the business and we were not sure which path to follow.
We tried a different approach altogether- to start from scratch. Personally, it was a fun journey of how we started with limited info. We gathered a lot of data. We had enough data to analyze and we were successful in finding the cause of the issue.
Once we knew the cause, resolving became so much easier!