Internet Explorer 11 will no longer be supported by various SAP UI technologies in newer releases
This blog post highlights the end of support for Microsoft legacy browsers Internet Explorer 11 and Edge Legacy by various SAP UI Technologies like Web Dynpro ABAP, SAP GUI for HTML, SAPUI5 and Business Server Pages (BSP) and the recommended activities for our customers.
SAP UI Technologies supports a range of browsers and platforms e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft New Edge (Chromium) and Safari. For details see the Product Availability Matrix of SAP Netweaver or S/4HANA.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge Legacy (EdgeHTML) are legacy products with limited maintenance from Microsoft. Both will not be supported by future Web Dynpro ABAP, SAP GUI for HTML, BSP and SAPUI5 versions.
The end of support of Internet Explorer 11 was announced earlier in the SAP Note “1672817 – Browser: Microsoft Legacy Edge and Internet Explorer Support Policy Note”.
Specifically, this means
- Web Dynpro ABAP no longer supports Internet Explorer 11 starting with SAP_UI 7.56
- SAP GUI for HTML no longer supports Internet Explorer 11 starting with Kernel 7.85 used in S/4 HANA Cloud 2105, S/4HANA 2021 or newer
- SAPUI5 no longer supports IE11 starting with SAPUI5 1.88 (2104).
See blog post SAPUI5 versions will no longer support Microsoft’s legacy browsers
- Business Server Pages no longer supports Internet Explorer 11 starting with SAP_BASIS 7.56 used in S/4HANA 2021 or newer
Support for the Microsoft Edge Legacy (EdgeHTML) browser will be discontinued on March 9th, 2021, since Microsoft has announced that they will discontinue support for it on that date.
As a result, to name a few, the following product releases will no longer support Internet Explorer 11:
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2105
- SAP S/4HANA 2021
- SAP Integrated Business Planning for Supply Chain 2105
- SAP Marketing Cloud 2105
Note that this is not an exhaustive list of products which will discontinue Internet Explorer 11 support.
This does not affect any support statements for the new Microsoft Edge (Chromium) browser, see SAP Note 2884143.
Older S/4HANA or Suite releases are not affected by the de-support of Internet Explorer 11.
Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge Legacy (EdgeHTML) are legacy products, which do not fulfil the requirements of a modern browser regarding features, security, performance, etc. Microsoft has limited the support for both products and recommends transitioning to the new Microsoft Edge browser:
- Microsoft 365 apps say farewell to Internet Explorer 11 and Windows 10 sunsets Microsoft Edge Legacy.
- Microsoft 365 apps and services to end support for IE 11; End of support coming to the legacy version of Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge IE mode for IE11 compatibility
To ensure a secure environment for running business-critical solutions, SAP recommends using the latest version of a modern and secure browser.
Recommended Action and Upgrade Strategy
SAP always recommends using the latest version of a modern, supported browser.
Until your environment is updated to a supported browser, you may:
- use the Internet Explorer legacy mode in MS New Edge (Chromium);
- stay on a long-term maintenance release of Web Dynpro ABAP with SAP_UI 7.54, together with SAPUI5 version 1.71 in combination with Frontend Server 6.0 (FES 6.0).
Should you be unable to move away from Internet Explorer 11, then it is essential that you do not upgrade to SAP_UI 7.56, since all SAP systems using SAP_UI 7.56 will not support Internet Explorer 11.
Former versions of SAP GUI for Windows uses always the Internet Explorer 11 to display HTML content within SAP GUI for Windows. As of the release 7.70 the SAP GUI for Windows supports Microsoft Edge (Chromium) as an alternative browser. Please see SAP Note “2796898 – New and changed features in SAP GUI for Windows 7.70”
- Blog post: SAP Fiori deployment options and SAP Fiori front-end server strategy – UPDATE 2020 | SAP Blogs
- Blog post SAP Fiori will no longer support IE11 later this year
- Blog post SAPUI5 versions will no longer support Microsoft’s legacy browsers
- Blog post SAP Cloud Portal and Launchpad service say goodbye to Microsoft’s legacy browsers
- SAP Note 1672817 – Browser: Microsoft Legacy Edge and Internet Explorer Support Policy Note
- SAP Note 1716423 – SAPUI5 Browser Support
- Support provided by individual SAP products is published in the respective Product Availability Matrix (PAM).
- Browser Support PAM for SAP S/4HANA 2020 & SAP S/4HANA FOUNDATION 2020