Implementer’s Guide to Rapid S4-based Financial Planning & Analysis for SAP S/4HANA using SAP Analytics Cloud
Blog updated: June 12, 2023
The audience for this blog: Partners, Consultants, and Customers interested in implementing SAP Analytics Cloud on top of SAP S/4HANA for Corporate FP&A scenarios (updated August 2022 with SAC’s New Model Type, with quarterly releases in Nov ’22, Feb ’23, and May ’23)
- To download the free suite from SAP Analytics Cloud, follow this generic Business Content download guide HERE (search the word “Rapid” in Business Content Network)
- SAP internal staff can use demo 18508 in SAP Demostore
- Join our LinkedIn Rapid FP&A group, where we share additional insights
- For a full schedule of Demos and Training, please see the new Demo & Training Blog
- See all historical webinars and presentation decks on the Rapid FP&A WorkZone
- Email Rapid_FPA@sap.com if any questions or if you want a custom demo and/or advisory session.
See the quick VIDEO for this introduction to an exciting FREE business content offering from SAP.
Did you know?
- The Rapid Financial Planning & Analysis for SAP S/4HANA suite of three models…
- Positioned for Corporate FP&A role under the CFO Office – a focused Finance solution for the top of your organization
- Best Practices in SAC’s New Model Type
- Built by SAP Services in North America
- Endorsed by both S/4HANA and SAC Product Management
- Featured with SAC’s original classic account model at Sapphire 2018 and re-released in August 2022 leveraging SAC’s New Model Type – per Demand from Customers, Partners, and SAP Services
Upgraded to New Model Type in August 2022 with upgrades quarterly in November 2022 and February 2023, with next upgrade planned for May 2023
SAC New Model Checklist:
|Model Structure Priority?||Account||Calculation + Label
|G/L Account dimension?||Standard Account dimension||Standard SAC|
|Sign Treatment?||Account Type||Standard SAC|
|Calculations available?||Account Formulas +
Measure Formulas +
Flexibility in SAC
|Currency?||Local & Global||Measures via
|Unit of Measure (UOM) for Sales Volume?||Base & Standard UOM||Per S/4 Option|
Variance: Actual v Plan
Summary & Trend
|Standard in each of the 3 models|
|Quantity (Sales Volume)?||Planned as an Account||Simplifies
|Cost of Goods Sold?||Standard COGS||Simplifies
|Flow for Balance Sheet?||Opening, Change, Total||Measures via
|Integration?||S/4 HANA, S/4HANA Cloud, SuccessFactors||Standard x 3 sources|
|Retraction?||S/4 HANA, S/4HANA Cloud||Standard x 2 sources|
- The Rapid FP&A Suite is made up of:
- Rapid Financial Planning & Analysis for SAP S/4HANA (2EB)
- Rapid Sales Planning & Analysis for SAP S/4HANA (4DP)
Note: Click on the hyperlinks above to tap into “Best Practice Explorer,” where you will find a Test Script (“user guide”) and implementation-friendly guides, including integration guides.
Business content is FREE to customers of SAP Analytics Cloud.
How to Import/Download the Rapid FP&A Content to your SAC tenant?
When in SAP Analytics Cloud:
- Follow this generic Business Content download guide HERE (search the word “Rapid” in Business Content Network), or
- The links in the section above include a specific guide on how to import this content into your own customer tenant – follow the 2JX Import Model configuration guide
Here is the user interface for the Business Content Network in SAP Analytics Cloud:
What is new in November 2022?
The #1 ask we have had in the Best Practice team is a conversion to the New Model Type, with releases in August 2022 (v1) and November 2022 (v2), with a BIG release 3 planned for February 18, 2023.
- Rapid FP&A deploys a Model Structure Priority of “Accounts over Measures“, which allows important flexibility with calculations and labeling values in stories
- On the currency front, stored values for Actuals in both local and global currency provide 100% tie out to your SAP S/4HANA sources across all three models
- Leveraging the New Model Type capabilities, the Flow concept has been migrated from a generic “Dimension” to three “Measures”, which provides more accurate quarter-end and year-end aggregation of balance sheet figures. SAC documentation recommends Measures for flows.
- Read about the New Model HERE
What about this video series?
- You can watch these videos when you want and in any order you want
- Each video is accompanied by a PDF attachment with the slides
- We will update (or add new vides) videos for the New Model Type soon
What is the message to YOU from this blog?
Best Practice Rapid Financial Planning & Analysis for SAP S/4HANA Content is FREE.
The Suite is Rapid. Simple. Standard.
The video series is FREE!
Follow-up questions to the the author are also FREE!
You now have the FREE-dom to implement Best Practices for Rapid Financial Planning & Analysis for SAP S/4HANA at your customer.
Review the SAP Analytics Cloud roadmap HERE
Request a feature in SAP Analytics Cloud HERE
To participate in the training –
(Note: The content referenced above is now on SAC’s New Model Type, but the videos below are still on SAC’s Classic Account Model as we await new videos!)
Step 1: Watch this Video – which is an introduction to The Suite:
Financial Planning & Analysis Suite for SAP S/4HANA using SAP Analytics Cloud (Best Practices – Jan 2021)
Step 2: Watch the Videos below in any order and at any time
|Sales Planning||Workforce Planning|
|Documentation & External Links|
|Reports (Summary, KPI, Trend, Variance)||Video||Video||Video|
Planning Input Forms
Calculations (Advanced Formulas / Account Formulas)
If you want to train on the entire suite, we suggest you watch FP&A videos top to bottom and then complete Sales and then Workforce top to bottom.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can Best Practice financial planning solutions for SAP S/4HANA Cloud be implemented with SAP S/4HANA On-Premise?
- Yes! The planning models would be the same, and implementing the cloud connector will allow SAP Analytics Cloud to integrate with SAP S/4HANA on-premise.
Do the Rapid FP&A solutions come with sample data, so I can explore the solutions before any integration to my own data?
- Yes! Rapid FP&A, Sales, and Workforce planning all come with sample data. Actuals from January 2022 to September 2023, and a Planning horizon from October 2023 to December 2024.
How do I learn more about support options for SAP S4HANA in the public cloud?
- See HERE
Enjoy the video series!
Mark P. Burke
SAP S/4HANA Cloud – Product Manager
Financial Planning & Analysis
Palo Alto, CA