Project Management in Focused Build (Common Q&A for PM’s)
For Project Managers who have started exploring the Focused Build and looking for deeper insights and the questions which pops out while using the tool. Well,this blog is intended to give the significant points to remember when you are exploring in the Project management areas. If you have already explored to certain extent and have hands-on on the capability, then this would be of most beneficial to you.
- What are the standard Project types?
- What is the hierarchy followed under Project management in Focused Build methodology?
- How to check the holistic overview of the entire Project?
- How to understand the weightage of the Project, Phase, Wave, Sprint or a task?
- Is there any prerequisite to consider before Project Management?
- How to link project to landscape?
- : I am unable to Release the Project without a “planned/actual Release” assigned to it. Why?
- What if I don’t know the exact date of actual release and if it is not planned yet?
- Where do I view/edit/use the gant chart?
- How to Associate the Projects to respective Customers
- How to know the requirements created for each Project?
- How to add resources into the Project?
- Is it feasible to search one specific documents from an enormous master project?
Here are the top few queries in FB Project management.
- What are the standard Project types?
Focused Build single project – For standalone Projects
Master project – For several teams in one Project.( Build Project can be integrated into master project, but integration for other types are not possible)
Maintenance Project – A project that is used for correcting errors. It has only a single wave with a single sprint.
Build Project – Build projects can run in parallel and can be implemented by different teams, for example, you can set up build projects for different systems.
2. What is the hierarchy followed under Project management in Focused Build methodology?
It is Project -> Phases -> Waves -> sprint -> Task -> Subtask
3. How to check the holistic overview of the entire Project?
Check out in Table or Graphic view which is editable. Gant chart should suffice.
Non editable UI view is possible through Project management -> Select the Project -> Select Project name, as shown below;to view Gant chart and overview in the same screen.
4. How to understand the weightage of the Project, Phase, Wave, Sprint or a task?
This can be weighed through severity levels upon each term as shown below. This can be changed in details section.
5. Is there any prerequisite to consider before Project Management?
It is better to first plan and create the release first. For the “release”, firstly create STMS routes in 3 tier landscape(managed system) which should be connected to the Solution Manager system via Conventional charm
6. How to link project to landscape?
By assigning an “actual release” to the Project before releasing, you have also linked the project permanently to a solution, a branch, and a change cycle.
7. I am unable to Release the Project without a “planned/actual Release” assigned to it. Why?
Project is intertwined with Release. Since Release automatically links the project to a solution, a branch, and a change cycle it is important to associate at initial stage
8. What if I don’t know the exact date of actual release and if it is not planned yet?
If you are not yet sure what will be the final release for your project; select planned release, The release component that you select at Actual Release is permanently assigned to the project and the waves of the project.
9. Where do I view/edit/use the gant chart?
There are two places. In the below UI screen (as soon as you open the Project management tile- select Project) , only dates, severity can be changed manually here.
The other place is conventional project management screen, where Gant chart can be adjusted manually by sliding the phases or tasks. (from the screen shown above, select the project name at top which leads you to the conventional project structure)
10.How to Associate the Projects to respective Customers
In Project header, Use the additional Data tab to assign customer details.
11.How to know the requirements created for each Project?
Remember Project management and Requirement management are two different streams. Requirement has no relation to project management. However, This can be accessed via associated Work packages which has a preceding Approved Requirement on top of it
12. How to add resources into the Project?
From Project select the below.
Custom Roles can also be created and use the BP numbers to staff the consultants as shown below..
13. Is it feasible to search one specific documents from an enormous master project?
Is it even possible to take reference of old records from a old Master Projects by searching the required task, document or related information from such enormous Projects Management tool?
Yes, certainly it is.
Use the below search option from a Project to pick your exact point of reference across the projects. Be it a document or Task.
All the above are the major queries while using the tool and this should help in reducing the comprehending time to minimal. Most of the time, in Focused Build, the issues are due to wrong user handling. In a Project Manager perspective, these points are essential for a seamless rollout. Hope this helps. Cheers!