For SAP HANA customers eager to see support for SAP HANA Cloud in the SAP Cloud Connector (SCC), the wait is over!
This new capability is an important piece in architecting hybrid SAP HANA scenarios that connect SAP HANA Cloud and SAP HANA Platform (on-premise) landscapes.
Of course, creating hybrid SAP HANA systems is not new. Until now, you would have achieved this by using the SAP Smart Data Integration (SDI) and SAP DPAgent technologies.
But now it’s even easier, and it comes with some attractive benefits.
Benefits of using the SAP Cloud Connector
Here are a few of the benefits of using the SAP Cloud Connector to connect your SAP HANA Cloud instance with your SAP HANA Platform or other SAP HANA Cloud instances:
- Improved connection robustness: Enjoy the auto-restarting capability for when connections are disrupted
- Improved user experience: Enjoy a more guided, user-friendly experience setting up and configuring your hybrid connections
- Simplified and standardized configuration: Leverage the same technology in your product architecture for all SAP HANA connections, whether cloud-to-cloud or cloud-to-on-premise
- Trigger-based table replication: Enjoy real-time table replication
How do I enable this new capability in SAP HANA Cloud?
If you are connecting your SAP HANA Cloud instance to an SAP HANA on-premise system, you must install and configure the SAP Cloud Connector on your on-premise system.
Then, to use the SAP Cloud Connector with SAP HANA Cloud, you need to enable it in your SAP HANA Cloud instance. You can either do this when you first provision the SAP HANA Cloud instance or later by enabling the capability in the location where you Edit an SAP HANA Cloud instance (that’s the little pencil icon on the lower-left corner of the SAP HANA Cloud instance tile).
Once you’ve enabled the capability, log in to your SAP Cloud Connector and configure your SAP HANA Cloud connection in the Define Subaccount area.
Finally, back in your SAP HANA Cloud instance, you’ll use the SQL editor window in SAP Cockpit to create a ‘hanaodbc’ remote source adapter for the SAP HANA on-premise system you are connecting to.
Where can I learn more?
- Documentation: SAP Business Technology Platform Connectivity Guide: Cloud Connector
- Documentation: SAP HANA Cloud Data Access Guide: Set Up the Cloud Connector
- Documentation: SAP HANA Cloud Getting Started Guide: Create an SAP HANA Cloud Instance Using the Cloud Cockpit
- Article: SAP Cloud Connector (a step of the larger Replicate data from on-premise to the cloud with the Cloud Connector article)
- Article: Setting up SAP HANA Cloud from the SAP Business Technology Platform Cockpit (a step of the larger Getting Started with SAP HANA Cloud article)
- Blog: What’s New – SAP HANA Cloud Jan 2021 (QRC 4)
- Blog: Log based replication to HANA cloud with SAP Cloud Connector
- Downloads: SAP Development Tools