Using Side-by-Side Extensibility to Process Down Payments for Sales Orders
In collaboration with: Praveen Kumar Appari
This blog post describes how to create a side-by-side application for managing sales orders that are eligible for down payment on SAP S/4HANA Cloud. You can create this custom app using the side-by–side extensibility feature of the SAP S/4HANA Cloud system and deploy it on the SAP Cloud Platform. With this app, it is possible to automate the process of down payments for multiple sales order line items in one step.
For example, on the standard system the process of down payment in a sales order is done on one line item at a time. When creating down payment requests for a billing item you would need to complete details such as Customer Down Payment Amount for every Sales Order Item and Sales Order Number. Using the custom app, it is possible to automate the down payment for multiple line items with a sales order.
You have administrative access to SAP S/4HANA Cloud and implementation experience on it. Coding experience is necessary for creating custom application, since this extensibility solution requires the implementation of a coding logic.
|Business Role||Business Role ID|
|Configuration Expert – Business Network Integration||SAP _ BR _ CONF _ EXPERT _ BUS _ NET _ INT|
|Master Data Specialist – Business Partner Data||MASTER _ SPECIALIST|
High Level Overview
Implementation has three parts:
1. Creating the Custom App
- Implement a backend Java application for managing down payments sales order items. The communication arrangements are defined to support remote system access, which in this case is the SAP S/4HANA Cloud – Note: To create destinations, you need to input the username, URL of the system, authentication type along with other configuration data.
2. Setting up the SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP Cloud Platform for the Custom App
The setup process toggles between steps in the SAP S/4HANA Cloud and SAP Cloud Platform systems.
On SAP S/4HANA Cloud create a communication system:
- Make a note of user data as this is required when creating the communication arrangement.
- Create a communication arrangement by using the communication ID of the user created in the previous step.
- Create new communication system by providing the system details. This is used for inbound calls; therefore, it is not necessary to specify host name. In the user for inbound communication section add the user details created in the previous steps
- Note: A communication scenario bundles inbound and outbound communication design-time artifacts. Since it allows communication between systems, each communication arrangement must be based on a communication scenario. You need to create a new custom scenario and specify the following:
- SAP_COM_0002 – Finance – Posting Integration
- SAP_COM_0109 – Sales Order Integration
- SAP_COM_0093 – Identity Management Integration
- Create the custom CDS views for existing tax environment to allow the retrieval of the tax codes and to expose them with ODATA.
- Create a new Custom Field using the Custom Fields and Logic App. Choose Sales: Billing Document because the down payment process is within sales orders. Select the Delivery checkbox within the Sales Document at the Item level within Business Scenario and enable the BAPI CREATE_MUTIPLE for billing document creation.
3. Create integration in the SAP Cloud Platform
- Create new destination for integration of custom application and UI Fiori application to S/4HANA Cloud.
- Set the backend application for SAP Cloud Platform as it accepts the java applications as source. Through access of the subaccount the java application can be deployed as “.war” file extension. Using HTML5 application the UI of the custom application is deployed via “.zip” file extension.
- Set the HANA database to integrate the custom application with the S/4HANA Cloud using Databases & Schemas. New bindings must be connected to the application to integrate with database and form the structure. The Data source, Java Application (created backend application) and User details must be provided for connecting to the custom application designed and imported to the SAP Cloud Platform Cockpit.
Last step: Creation of the launching application in SAP S/4HANA Cloud
- To launch application, create a Custom Tile on SAP S/4HANA Cloud using the extensibility cockpit. Enter the browser URL without any parameters, for example: https://XXXXX.dispatcher.hanatrial.ondemand.com
- You must Assign Catalogs to the relevant business roles, for example, SAP_FIN_BC_AR_INC_PAYM_PC – Accounts Receivable – Incoming Payments. After assigning the catalogs you need to publish a custom tile.
- Create SAP Identity and Authentication Service in the cockpit using the tenants’ ID. Access the tenant’s administration console for SAP Cloud Platform Identity Authentication service by using the console’s URL. By using the Administrator tile create the new administrator by choosing the system. Ensure that manage users is enabled and provide the password details in the fields. If user is setting the password for API authentication for the first time, these fields must be empty.
Testing the Extension Scenario
- Create the Standard Sales Orders with pre-sized percentage of down payment amount as conditions type mentioned as ZZWA on the header level of S/4HANA Cloud.
- After completing all above steps, should be able to use newly created Side-by-Side application. Log-on with an SAP S/4HANA Cloud User, which has assigned to custom tile. Navigate to the custom tile and try out the application which enables the list of sales orders created for creating down payment request.
- Through accessing the sales order from the new custom application, you can set the tax codes for each Sales Order Item, as these are predefined in the beginning. After setting the Tax Codes, the next steps are defining the down payment amount percentage and creating the Down Payment request specifying the journal entry date. The successful creation of down payment request generates the request ID which is Journal entry number. This reference number can be verified even in the defined custom field at the Sales Order Item levels. The entries are created also in the Manage Journal Entries application with all mandate details using the Journal entry reference.
With these steps you can implement and validate a side-by-side application for managing sales orders to allow automation of the down payment process in SAP S/4HANA Cloud.
Thank you for reading this blog post. Time to test! Please leave your comment and feedback.