Update: Future SAPUI5 versions will no longer support Microsoft’s legacy browsers
Update 11. Feb 2021: To ensure a transition period for SAP BTP customers requiring time to get rid of potential IE11 dependencies, maintenance of SAPUI5 1.87 is extended until end of Q3/2021.
This blog post highlights the end of support for Microsoft legacy browsers by future SAPUI5 versions and the recommended activities for our customers and partners. The information also applies to OpenUI5.
SAPUI5 supports a range of browsers and platforms. Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge Legacy (EdgeHTML) are legacy products with limited maintenance from Microsoft. Both will not be supported by future SAPUI5 versions. Specifically, this means
- SAPUI5 no longer supports IE11 starting with SAPUI5 1.88 (2104)
- SAPUI5 no longer supports Edge Legacy (EdgeHTML) starting March 9, 2021
This does not affect any support statements for the new Microsoft Edge (Chromium) browser, see SAP Note 2884143.
Microsoft IE11 and Microsoft Edge Legacy (EdgeHTML) are legacy products, which do not fulfil the requirements of a modern browser regarding features, security, performance, etc. Microsoft has limited the support for both products:
- Microsoft 365 apps say farewell to Internet Explorer 11 and Windows 10 sunsets Microsoft Edge Legacy.
- Microsoft 365 apps and services to end support for IE 11; End of support coming to the legacy version of Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Edge IE mode for IE11 compatibility
To ensure a secure environment for running business-critical solutions, SAP recommends using the latest version of a modern and secure browser.
SAPUI5 announced this end of support earlier in the SAPUI5 documentation. Looking at the SAPUI5 versions and their maintenance status, this now means SAPUI5 will no longer support IE11 starting with SAPUI5 1.88 (2104).
- SAPUI5 1.84 (2011) is the last long term maintenance version supporting Microsoft IE11 and Microsoft Edge Legacy.
- SAPUI5 1.87 (2102) will be the last SAPUI5 version supporting Microsoft IE11. All SAPUI5 versions up to and including SAPUI5 1.87 will continue to support IE11 as long as they are in maintenance. To ensure a transition period for SAP BTP customers requiring time to get rid of potential IE11 dependencies, maintenance of SAPUI5 1.87 is extended until end of Q3/2021.
Support for Microsoft Edge Legacy will be stopped for all SAPUI5 versions on March 9, 2021 due to its end of life announced by Microsoft.
Depending on the SAP products used and the respective SAPUI5 version consumed by these products, different product releases are affected with different timelines.
SAP always recommends using the latest version of a modern, supported browser according to SAPUI5 Browser and Platform Support. Microsoft recommends transitioning to the new Microsoft Edge browser.
For SAP solutions using SAPUI5, keep an eye out for announcements concerning the respective products. If you are using Microsoft IE11, it can be helpful to temporarily stay on SAPUI5 1.84 – 1.87 (see above) until your environment is updated to a supported browser.
- SAP Note 1672817 – Browser: Microsoft Legacy Edge, Internet Explorer Support Policy
- SAP Note 1716423 – SAPUI5 Browser Support
- Product Availability Matrix (PAM) for SAP products consuming SAPUI5
- Browser Support PAM for SAP S/4HANA 2020 & SAP S/4HANA FOUNDATION 2020
- Blog post SAP Cloud Portal and Launchpad service say goodbye to legacy browsers
- Blog post SAP Fiori will no longer support IE11 later this year
- Blog post Internet Explorer 11 no longer supported by various SAP UI technologies
- Blog post SAP SuccessFactors Internet Explorer 11 Browser Deprecation
- Blog post UI Theme Designer will no longer support Internet Explorer 11
Nice. You could have added 1.71 explicitly to the "When" section - as this is the currently longest-running version of SAPUI5 (ending Q4 2027)
It is good that they migrate to new technologies, however, I still do not understand how it will affect the generation and download of Ariba Sourcing reports in .xls format, since organizations have templates designed for these formats, and reports in .csv do not have the same way becouse it is a flat file that would have to be transformed manually
What is Basis guideline to change from IE browser to Edge ?