Attribute Based Access Control (ABAC) – How to configure Data Blocking in BP transaction using Manage Sensitive Attribute app
In this blog post, we will learn how to configure Data Blocking through Manage Sensitive Attributes app provided by UI Data Protection Masking for SAP S/4HANA 2011 solution based on Attribute Based Authorization Control(ABAC) concept.
Manage Sensitive Attributes app
The Manage Sensitive Attributes application allows you to maintain configuration for UI data protection in a SAP Fiori-based UI.
This application brings together several individual transactions, simplifying the maintenance of masking configuration and presenting a holistic picture to the end user. With this app, you can:
Create, update and delete sensitive attributes
Define masking and blocking configurations
Manage technical attribute mappings
Create and assign context attributes
Create and assign derived attributes and lists of values
You can use the app on your desktop, tablet or smartphone.
UI data protection masking for SAP S/4HANA is a solution for selective masking of sensitive data on SAP S/4HANA user interfaces – SAP GUI, SAPUI5/SAP Fiori, Web Dynpro for ABAP, and Web Client UI. Data can be protected at field level, either by masking the content (replacing original characters with generic characters, such as asterisks) or by clearing or disabling the field.
The solution uses both role-based and attribute-based authorizations, affording customers a high degree of control.
Data Blocking is required for BP transaction. Some sensitive Business Partner records need to be protected from unauthorized access by configuring Data Blocking on this transaction. Product “UI data protection masking for SAP S/4HANA 2011” is used in this scenario to protect sensitive data at field level and must be installed in the S/4HANA system.
Configuration to achieve Data Blocking in BP transaction
Login to Fiori Launchpad and click on “Manage Sensitive Attributes” app available under “UI data protection masking” catalog.
Maintain Sensitive Attributes
A Sensitive Attribute is a type of logical attribute that define a field which needs to be configured for UI data protection.
- Click on Add icon
- Enter “LA_BP” in Sensitive Attribute field
- Enter “Business Partner” in Description field
- Click on “Create” button
- Sensitive Attribute with specified details will be created.
Maintain Mapping to Technical Addresses
In the Manage Sensitive Attributes application, you can link technical addresses of fields to sensitive attributes. A technical address describes the exact technical path or technical information which is used by the solution to process the field for UI data protection masking.
To find the technical addresses for SAP GUI screens, navigate to the field and choose F1, then the Technical Information icon. The system displays the relevant information.
Under Add icon., choose the
Use the the value help to select the table name and the field name. You can also enter the referenced transaction codes as a comment to describe the mapping.
For mass configuration, select the Mass Configuration icon. The system generates additional customizing for SAP GUI and data element entries. Once the application will be refreshed, entries will get listed under Module Pool.
- Select all the records and click on “Mass Configuration” button
Maintain Additional Attributes – Configure Value Range
In the Manage Sensitive Attributes application, you can create and update value ranges to provide context for protecting a sensitive attribute.
A Value Range is a static collection of values that can be used as the context within which a sensitive attribute is to be protected.
To create a new value range,
- Select “Create New“
- Select Range Type as “List of Values“
- Enter the name of the value range beginning with VR_ for a list of values as “VR_BLOCKED_BP“
- Description as “Range of Blocked BP”
- Click on “Create” button.
- Value Range with specified details should get created
Enter following entries in “VR_BLOCKED_BP” Value Range
Follow below mentioned steps:
- Execute Transaction Code “/UISM/V_RANGE”
- Click on “VR_BLOCKED_BP” Value Range
- Click on “Display<- -> Change” button
- Click on “Add New Entry” button
- Add following entries under “Include Value” tab and click on “Save” button
A Policy is a combination of rules and actions which are defined in one or more blocks. The actions are executed on a sensitive entity (field to be protected) which has to be assigned to a Policy. The conditions are based on contextual attributes which help derive the context.
Context Attributes are logical attributes which are used in designing the rules of a policy. They are mapped to fields which are used to derive the context under which an action is to be executed on a sensitive entity.
Sensitive Entities are logical attributes which are sensitive and need to be protected from unauthorized access.
Follow the given path:
SPRO -> SAP NetWeaver -> UI Data Protection Masking for SAP S/4HANA -> Sensitive Attribute Configuration -> Masking and Blocking Configuration -> Maintain Policy Details for Attribute-based Authorizations – Follow below mentioned steps:
- Click on “New Entries” button
- Enter “Policy Name” as “POL_BLOCK_BP”
- Select “Type” as “Data Blocking”
- Enter “Description” as “Block Sensitive BP Records”
- Click on “Save” button
Write following logic into Policy
Maintain Programs for Data Blocking
To achieve Data Blocking for SAP GUI transactions, there is an additional mandatory step i.e. configure the program name of the SAP GUI transaction in Customizing under SPRO ->
- Click on “New Entries” button
- Enter Calling Program as “SAPLBUPA_DIALOG_JOEL”
- Check the “Enable” checkbox
- Enter Description as “Block Sensitive BP Records”
- Click on “Save” button
Data Blocking Configuration
In the Manage Sensitive Attributes application, you can configure blocking for a sensitive attribute to define in detail how it is to be protected in the system.
Blocking configuration defines which sensitive records are to be blocked from view for unauthorized users, even when these records would normally appear in a table view.
To configure blocking for a sensitive attribute, under Edit., choose
- Enable data blocking.
- Use the value help to select “POL_BLOCK_BP” policy for attribute-based authorization,
- To customize the message displayed to unauthorized users, enter the message class /UISM/UI and use the value help to select a message number.
- Select a fallback action to determine how the system is to behave if blocking is not possible in a particular table.
- Save the configuration.
Data Blocking in BP transaction
- Enter T-Code as “BP” and press “Enter” key
- Enter “300000000*” in “Business Partner” field and click on “Start” button
Following BP Records will not appear in grid as they are blocked –
- Enter “3000000001” in “Business Partner” field and click on “Start” button
BP Record 3000000001 will not appear in grid as it is blocked.
- Click on “Open BP” button
- Enter “3000000003” in “Business Partner” field and click on “Enter” button
BP Record 3000000003 details will not be displayed and proper message will be displayed that “Certain records are blocked via UI Data Protection”.
In this blog post, we have learnt how Data Blocking is achieved in BP transaction through Manage Sensitive Attributes app provided by UI Data Protection Masking for SAP S/4HANA 2011 solution.