Why Stories in People Analytics should be a priority for you in 2021
What is Stories in People Analytics?
SAP SuccessFactors Stories in People Analytics (Stories) is the next generation of SuccessFactors reporting included with all SuccessFactors modules. It has been generally available since the H1 2020 release, and key features include
- A toolset to create dynamic, interactive visualizations and tell stories with your data
- A single data model for modules across the SuccessFactors suite
- Integration with RBP so story consumers see only the appropriate data for their role(s)
Stories will be the eventual replacement for the existing SuccessFactors reporting tools, which include Table/AdHoc, Canvas/ORD/Advanced Reporting/Detailed Reporting, and Tile-based Dashboards.
So why does Stories in People Analytics matter? Why should it be a priority for you now? I see three big opportunities:
- Simplify, simplify, simplify
- Become a more data-driven organization
- Reduce visualization rework in other tools
1. Simplify, simplify, simplify
Going forward, Stories in People Analytics will be the single tool used for SuccessFactors transactional reporting: list reports, charts, dashboards, and other interactive visualizations will be created in this tool.
Chances are you have created dozens or even hundreds of reports in your existing reporting tools. With Stories, you have a two-pronged opportunity:
- Analyze and understand your existing reports to determine which ones your report consumers absolutely need going forward.
- Re-imagine how you can meet your organization’s HR data needs with this new toolset.
2. Become a more data-driven organization
As discussed in previous articles (link and link), a data-driven culture is a critical component of a modern HR organization’s success. And for data-reluctant individuals or teams, list reports or data dumps into Excel are a significant impediment to becoming data literate. Interactive visualizations and dashboards like those you can create with Stories can be a key driver to spurring data literacy in your organization.
3. Reduce visualization rework in other tools
Do your reporting consumers export data dumps or big list reports and visualize the data in another tool, like Excel, Tableau, or Power BI? With Stories visualization tools, you now have the ability to create great visualizations directly with your live SuccessFactors transactional data. And as mentioned above, RBP integration enables you to increase the reach of your data so division heads, directors, and line managers only see the appropriate organization data in these reports.
How can GP Strategies help?
Our global consultants have been working with Stories in People Analytics for years, from early alpha releases to the current GA release. Our capabilities specific to People Analytics include
- IAS implementation, including SSO integration
- Fit/gap analysis for your existing reports
- Stories in People Analytics report developer and administrator training
- Story creation development
I hope you found this article useful! If you have any comments or questions, feel free to contact me or leave a comment below.