Get Certified: C_HANATEC_17
SAP Certified Technology Associate – SAP HANA 2.0 SPS05
In this blog, you will find some personal suggestions about how to get certified as SAP Certified Technology Associate – SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 05.
This exam is available as of December 2020.
For the sample questions, see
For the posts about the SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 05 exams, see
For the posts about the ABAP specialisation exam, see
For the posts about the SAP Business Technology (SAP Cloud Platform) exams, see
For the posts about SAP NetWeaver (SAP BASIS) exam, see
About braindumps and cheat sheets, see
Questions? Post as comment.
Useful? Give us a like and share on social media.
Once you passed the exam, you will receive a digital badge from Acclaim
See the FAQ for more information about SAP Global Certification Digital badges.
|Interested to learn more? You are invited to join the LinkedIn Special Interest Group (SIG)|
About the Exam
Information about the exam is published on the SAP Training website. This is also where you can book the exam (or get a certification hub subscription)
There are multiple types of certifications:
- TEC = Technology (system administration)
- IMP = Application (implementation, here modeling)
- DEV = Development (native development)
- AW = ABAP
- BW = Business Warehouse
- ADM = Administration (SAP (NetWeaver AS BASIS)
The levels are
- C = Associate (consultant)
- E = Associate add-on (expert)
- P = Professional
For each release there is an exam. Currently valid are
- 17 = SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 05 | until 2025
- 16 = SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 04 | until 2021
- 12 = SAP HANA 1.0 SPS 12 | until 2021
You can check the validity of the certifications at training.sap.com/certification/validity.
Certifications expire a couple of months after the maintenance support for the SAP HANA release. For this reason your certification for SPS 12 from 2016 is still valid while those for 2017 (SPS 01), 2018 (SPS 02), and 2019 (SPS 03) no longer are.
Unless there is a special requirement, take the SPS 05 release of the exam
For the certification FAQs, see
Information about the topic areas covered is also listed on the exam information page.
Note the small print: SAP reserves the right to update the exam content (topics, items, weighting) at any time. So make sure to check the page before applying.
Major Topics 8% – 12%
- SAP HANA Installation, Configuration, and Upgrade
- SAP HANA Database Administration
- SAP HANA High Availability and Disaster Recovery
Minor Topics <8%
- SAP HANA Architecture and Deployment Options
- SAP HANA Backup and Recovery
- SAP HANA Database Security
- SAP HANA Monitoring and Troubleshooting
- Database Migration Options for SAP HANA
Compared to the previous edition, the list has been “simplified”. Content-wise, the impact is minimal as the topic areas still point to the same training material which forms the “source” of all the exam questions.
Compared to the previous edition, apart from the release and a reshuffle of the exam topics, we note only minor changes
- Section about Hardware and Cloud Measurement Tools added
- Section about SHINE removed
How to Prepare
Whether you take the official training courses or not, the SAP PRESS Certification Guide(s) remain an excellent preparation for the exam. The book covers all the core topics with references for additional study material, together with a glossary and hundreds of sample questions.
When you have the time and budget, take the SAP Training courses. Nothing beats a 2 week+ focus with hands-on exercises and training environment.
- HA200 – Installation and Administration (SPS05) – 5 days
- HA201 – High Availability and Disaster Tolerance Administration (SPS05) – 3 days
- HA215 – Monitoring and Performance Tools (SPS05) – 2 days
- HA250 – Database Migration using DMO (SPS05) – 2 days
Note that the courses have as requirement
- HA100 – SAP HANA – 360° Introduction – 3 days
With limited resources, consider
This delta training takes 3 days and covers the material from HA200, HA250, and HA240 (not required). As mentioned on the course leaflet: to be fully prepared for the C_HANATEC_17 certification, you need to attend the HA201 and HA215 courses as well, as the HATD20 Col17 course only covers the delta course materials of HA200 and HA250.
SAP Learning Hub
Alternatively, consider a subscription for the SAP Learning Hub and/or Certification Hub. There is a trial edition available for you to try it out.
The learning journey shows a visualisation of the courses to take. You can logon and mark your progress.
The (free) openSAP courses about advanced analytics topics are listed under Expand your Skills.
The tiles for each of the courses show the available formats: classroom and e-books. When subscribed to the learning hub, you also have access to an SAP HANA system for hands-on exercises (Live Access). The assessment contains the sample questions from the course.
SAP Help Portal (Free)
The training courses are based on the documentation (complemented by SAP Support Notes and Knowledge Base Articles and the occasional paper)
- SAP HANA Master Guide
- SAP HANA Server Installation and Update Guide
- SAP HANA Administration Guide
- SAP HANA Troubleshooting and Performance Analysis Guide
Unfortunately, the administration guide alone counts well over 2,000 pages and contains a lot of information you do NOT need to know.
The following papers are covered in detail in the above-mentioned courses, so make sure you are familiar with their content:
- SAP HANA Tailored Data Center Integration – FAQ (2018)
- SAP HANA TDI-Storage Requirements (2017)
- SAP HANA Network Requirements (2018)
- High Availability for SAP HANA (2017)
The latest versions of these papers are maintained in note 2407186 – How-To Guides & Whitepapers For SAP HANA High Availability.
SAP Development Center (Free)
Of course, the tutorials from the SAP Development Center also provide a great learning opportunity. This is also the place to download the free SAP HANA, express edition or find out how you can run this in a cloud environment.
Note that the focus these days is on SAP HANA Cloud, which in some domains works slightly differently. For more information, visit
SAP Support KBA (S-User)
For those that have access to the SAP ONE Support Launchpad knowledge base articles (KBAs) (S- or P-user account), take note of the many excellent FAQ articles. As with the documentation guides, this will cover more material than you will need to know but it does provide an excellent resource.
On the exam page, there is a link to a sample exam similar to the real one from ondemand.questionmark.eu.
For a discussion of the questions and answers, see