SAP is focusing a lot on front-end development and the evolution has gone from SAP WebDynpro to SAP UI5/Fiori and ABAP RESTful Application will be the future.
I am a Web Developer and recently started learning SAP UI5. I found a lot of difficulties understanding how to start practicing with SAP’s Web IDE because there have been a lot of new changes in SAP recently. Before I could start practicing with SAP Web IDE, I found SAP Business Application Studio.
SAP offers SAP Business Application Studio on cloud foundry environment to build SAP UI5/Fiori apps and there is a different configuration process that needs to be followed to begin.
Earlier SAP used to offer direct service to build and start your personal SAP Web IDE which was easy with the configuration. SAP Web IDE was limited to a trial of 30 days with the paid extension. Now, as the demand for SAP rises drastically, they are offering to extend the trial up to 365 days.
Let us begin with the steps as followed –
1. Open the URL – https://account.hanatrial.ondemand.com/trial/#/home/trial and enter credentials to log in to SAP.
2. Login to the URL above and create a Subaccount
Provide the details for Subaccount and create.
3. Open the subaccount –
4. Go to the Subscriptions option on the left sidebar and subscribe to SAP Business Application Studio which we will be going to use. Once you subscribe it, click on Go to Application.
5. Create a Dev Space of SAP Fiori Application type and Start it. It would take a minute or two to start.
Once the application is running, click on the app name (SAPUI). You can bookmark the current URL to open your SAP Web IDE directly.
You can choose to start a new project by creating files manually or by the available templates or by cloning projects from Github.
6. We will go with the template option. Click on Create project from template for quick application build and then click on SAP Fiori Freestyle project and click on Start.
7. Select the target running environment as Cloud Foundry and choose SAP UI5 Application.
8. Enter project Name
9. Keep HTMl5 Application Runtime as Standalone Approuter
10. Keep Basic attributes and View Name as per the default setup
11. The project has been created. To open it, navigate to File > Open Workspace in the toolbar and open the application you have created.
The project files will be displayed in the screen –
12. To preview the application, right-click on index.html and open it with preview.
You can provide your feedback to me in the comments and follow me for more helpful tutorials. Thank You 🙂