SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment – Release 2011
The ABAP environment release 2011 represents another milestone with regards to availability of features we have been promoting as part of our long-term roadmap since the launch of the product in late 2018. One of these is that it has always been our goal to offer an advanced model for providers (e.g. SAP partners) someday that allows a reduction of TCO and TCD of ABAP solutions developed in the cloud by efficiently onboarding consumers (e.g. customers) via an advanced Software-as-a-Service approach. Please enjoy this condensed overview highlighting not only the multitenancy capabilities, but a broad variety of new features as part of this quarterly release.
As always, our official release notes page contains the full details associated to the individual features.
ABAP environment now offers multitenancy which allows providers to host multiple consumers on one shared system. The new app Landscape Portal serves as central management plane to keep track of tenant lifecycle and operations tasks. SAP partners enjoy an advanced cloud add-on build and delivery process to manage the full lifecycle of their solutions in Software-as-a-Service use cases.
In order to maintain translations for your apps built on ABAP environment, you can now access a new app that allows upload and download of translation texts. Additionally, an API can be accessed that allows programmatic maintenance of translations for language-dependent texts.
RAP and CDS Enhancements
The ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model now supports OData V4. In addition, the new CDS View Entities are now available, introducing an improved version of DDIC-based CDS views.
- Enablement of statements FREE, WAIT and dynamic variants of GET BADI and CALL BADI
- Classes CL_AUTH_FACTORY and CL_AUTH_CHECK_FOR_BU to perform an indirect authorization check for a specified business user
- Release of new app to upload Business Configuration content (details)
- Release of new monitoring screens in Technical Monitoring Cockpit, e.g. Work Process Analysis, Time Spent Overview and User Sessions (details)
- Enhancements in Custom Code Migration app in the areas of on-premise connectivity, project types, local checks as well as package restrictions (details)
ABAP Development Tools
- Support for generation of RFC proxy with related global data types (details)
- Support for grouping of objects by their documentation status in Project Explorer and filtering of objects based on documentation status in Quick Search Dialog (details)
- Support of flexible browser choice during logon to ABAP back-end from Eclipse (details)
- Support for displaying ABAP Test Cockpit check variants and associated parameters in the check variant editor (details)
- Support for ABAP Cross Trace as tool to get insights into the RAP runtime framework in the context of root cause analysis of errors (details)
- Enablement of a new app to preview data of analytical queries (details)
- Support for aliases when inserting all elements from a database table (details)
- Support for export and import of Number Range as well as Change Document objects via abapGit
Integration & Security
- Support for additional 509 client certificates for assignment to communication users (details)
ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model
- Support for exposure of CDS Analytical Queries as Information Access (InA) using a service binding (details)
- Support for definition of augmentation in projection behavior definition (details)
- Support for quick fixes to generate a behavior implementation class or missing methods
- Support for triggering a determination on modify by another one (details)
- Support for flag always for determinations and validations associated to a determine action (details)
- Support of global feature control definition for feature control which is independent of a business object instance (details)
- Support of global authorization control definition for incoming requests (details)
- Support for XCO time library to facilitate the work with temporal values (details)
- Enhanced generation capabilities with XCO Library including templates for form specifications as well as DCLS (access controls) as new type of objects that can be generated (details)
- Support for protecting and unprotecting transport requests and retrieval of transport lists based on individual filters (details)
- Support for building, publishing and deploying add-on products including versioning (details & limitations)
- Support for deletion of software component branches via the Manage Software Components app as well as the respective API (details for app & API)
- New Commit Log Table in the Manage Software Components app to get an overview about the executed pull, clone, and checkout actions
- New Commit Object List page in the Manage Software Components app to provide an overview of all object changes from a specified commit
One last remark: please also refer to the Release Restriction Note for restrictions associated to feature deliveries of release 2011.
Stay healthy and take care!