This blog post gives an overview on best practices how to handle software collection in SAP Marketing Cloud. As a prerequisite you should know that a software collection is a container for extensibility items.
Clean Desk Strategy
- Create software collections based on topics and keep a stable connection between the extensibility artefacts belonging to that topic and the software collection.
- Try to avoid move and merge of software collections.
- Do not leave the software collection open for long time, but transport as soon as you have tested your enhancements.
- Try to import all released software collections before a release upgrade. This allows hotfix exports in case of issues. Otherwise in case of issues the whole software collection needs to be imported at an unforeseen time.
Closed Topics and Deprecated Content Handling
- Objects, that should not be changed any longer, should be added to an own software collection and this collection should be locked for changes.
- Deprecated content should be added to an own software collection and this collection should be locked for changes and export.