Archiving – New Functionality in 2011 Release
The 2011 release of SAP Cloud for Customer will provide the Archiving functionality. This will help you delete data from the system which has not been changed or used for a long time.
This blog post will cover this new feature.
- Reduces clutter by allowing to move irrelevant data into archive storage.
- Helps improve performance by reducing data volumes.
The configuration and enablement is done through the Business configuration fine-tuning activity: Archiving Configuration.
Following standard Business Objects are available for the archiving feature.
- Activity Task
- Sales Order
- Sales Quote
The archiving enablement will not be set by default. This has to be done manually by setting the Archiving Enablement flag. This will also enable the other columns for maintenance. Please note that once the Archiving Enablement flag is set for the Business Object, it cannot be unset.
Following are the available retention periods:
– Retention Period Before Archiving: Minimum number of days after the last change is made to a record before it is considered for archiving.
– Residence Period: Number of days which an archived record is still available in the system and can be restored (Please note that the Restore functionality is not available at this moment and is planned to be released in the future release).
– Retention Period Before Deletion: Number of days a record is kept in the archive before being finally deleted from the system.
It is important to understand that the retention time doesn’t mean the entities will be archived directly. This means that they are candidates for business checks which in turn will decide if they can be archived or not.
For example, if a Sales Order has the Status as In Process and the Retention Period Before Archiving duration is in line, it will not get archived as the Sales Order is not completed yet.
If you want to search and display archived objects, you can do so by going to the Archiving work center view under the Administrator work center.
By using the dropdown list, you can do a search for a dedicated business object. Please note that you need to provide “*” if you would like to do the search for all objects.
Currently, the search only works on the ID and the Description of the Business Objects. By clicking on the document ID in the results, it will display more details of the documents in the Quick View or in the Thing Inspector (which can be opened out of the Quick View). The displayed Archived documents are read-only.
You can also find further details in the blog Archiving – What objects? What are the criteria? | SAP Blogs， Archiving – How it is designed, how does it work | SAP Blogs and in the SAP Cloud for Customer What’s New Section for Archiving of Documents.