Product Compliance in SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2011
This blog provides you with the latest and greatest innovations that our SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2011 release has in store for you in Product Compliance. To name just a few highlights:
- Updates for regulatory content
- Updates for phrase management
- New SAP Fiori app to manage integrated and own phrases for phrase-enabled fields
- New SAP Fiori app for monitoring substance volumes for a country
- New SAP Fiori app for enhanced dangerous goods classification for RID, ADN, ADG, NZS, SANS
- New SAP Fiori apps to maintain data for safety data sheets (SDS), sections 6, 11 and 12
Product compliance is important for various industries. Companies must adhere to regulations and global industry and company standards to be able to produce or sell a product in a country/region or transport it through various countries.
A product steward and regional experts must assess the compliance of products, often starting in the development phase of a product. They have to decide if a product can be sold or produced in or shipped through countries/regions for specific applications. They also specify if a safety data sheet is needed in certain countries or regions and in which languages the safety data sheet has to be provided.
Dangerous good experts classify products according to the applicable dangerous goods regulations. They also specify which regulations are applicable for certain counties and specific modes of transports and how dangerous goods data is processed checks in sales and delivery documents.
Compliance Data Foundation – Integrated Phrases
The Manage Phrase-Enabled Fields SAP Fiori app allows you to find phrases used in other Product Compliance apps. A phrase is used in Product Compliance as a value for specific fields, such as in the compliance requirement World First Aid Measures or simply Colors. Phrases contain standardized text strings that are provided in different languages, allowing you to transport and sell your products in many different countries. Phrases are provided as SAP content for complying with regional, national, and international regulations. You can also create your own phrases, optionally based on provided content.
With this release, we include in SAP S/4HANA Cloud delivery of 2.371 embedded phrases and their translations, and you receive updates of phrases in
- Manage Physical-Chemical Properties and
- Ecological Information.
- Phrases are now integrated into Managing Accidental Release Measures and Manage Toxicological Information.
All these enhancements help to ensure up-to-date product declarations.
New SAP Fiori app to manage integrated and own phrases for phrase-enabled fields
The Manage Phrase-Enabled Fields SAP Fiori app features allow you to view provided phrases and translations. You can create your own phrases, including copying from provided content and create new translations. Additional features are the ability to easily search for phrases based on many different details and hiding phrases that you no longer want or aren’t applicable.
Key features of this innovation are:
- View phrases used in Product Compliance apps.
- View translations associated with the corresponding phrase.
- Hide phrases you no longer want in the value help of apps such as Manage First Aid Measures and Manage Physical-Chemical Properties.
- Search for phrases and filter by context, last changed by, compliance requirement, date modified, and so on.
- Create new phrases yourself or, optionally based on provided content.
- Create new translations for your phrases.
- Manage additional notes to be displayed with the selected phrase.
Note: Phrase-Enabled Fields come in two flavors:
- Fixed Phrase-Enabled Fields: These fields contain a fixed set of phrases delivered by SAP and follow our vision of easy data transfer between customers.
Examples in Ecological Information: Species, Effect Type, Result, Method, …
- Extensible Phrase-Enabled Fields: These fields can be extended with customers’ specific phrases. With this, we can address customers’ need for own or very specific phrases.
Examples in Ecological Information: Additional Statements.
Monitoring of Substance Volumes
The goal of substance volume tracking is to help you comply with chemical regulations, according to which you must track and monitor the volumes of regulated substances that you import into or produce in a region/country within a certain time period.
This new feature is integrated with the logistic processes for purchasing and manufacturing. It tracks, calculates, aggregates, and monitors the imported and produced substance volumes that result from these processes.
- Integration with the logistic processes of purchasing and manufacturing.
- Tracking volumes of imported and produced substances on a legal entity level and based on the relevant compliance requirements.
- Definition of legal entities and mapping manufacturing or receiving plants to these legal entities.
- Substance volume aggregation based on the current calendar year.
- Calculation of substance volume tracking status based on the aggregated volumes and the thresholds in the respective compliance requirements.
- Monitoring substance volume, providing detailed information about the aggregated substance volumes, and tracing back to the specific logistic document, via an SAP Fiori app (F4693).
Regulatory content update
With the update and enhancement of the integrated regulatory content, you stay compliant with your product portfolio using the most recent regulatory updates.
- 3 new and 52 updated compliance requirements with this release
- In total 135 compliance requirements (Substance list check pattern) available now
Safety Data Sheet Management:
- 2 new and 31 updated compliance requirements within this release
- In total 53 compliance requirement for Safety Data Sheets, each CR is assigned to one country
Dangerous Goods Management:
- 5 new compliance requirements with this release
- In total 14 compliance requirements available now.
Note: For more information about SAP Content for Compliance Requirements, please click here to access the SAP Help Portal.
Enhanced dangerous goods classification for RID, ADN, ADG, NZS, and SANS
Whenever a company produces, sells, or transports a product, the company must ensure that the product meets all regulations: laws, industry standards, and company standards.
With Dangerous Goods Management, you can assess unpackaged and packaged dangerous goods, classify them according to dangerous goods regulations, and decide whether transportation of a product is allowed, allowed with restrictions, or forbidden.
Dangerous Goods Management also provides classification data for checks in sales and delivery processes for transport permissions on the dangerous goods involved. If the transport of dangerous good by a particular mode of transport is forbidden in a specific country, the transport must be prevented. If transport is possible only under certain restrictions, a warning appears. If transport is forbidden, or the dangerous goods classification has not yet been assessed, the sales and delivery documents are blocked.
With the SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2011 release, new content-based compliance requirements for the RID 2019, the ADN 2019, the ADG 2019, the NZS 5433:2012, and the SANS 10228:2012 are delivered that contains information provided by these dangerous goods regulations to simplify your classification process for unpackaged products.
Delivery scope for the SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2011 release:
- New SAP Fiori app for detailed basic dangerous goods classification for a regulation concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Rail (RID), the European agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Inland Waterways (ADN), the Australian Dangerous Goods Code (ADG), the New Zealand standard NZS 5433, and SANS 10228, which relates to the identification and classification of dangerous goods for transport by road and rail modes in South Africa
- Classification data based on integrated regulatory content
- Ability to dynamically show or hide additional information
- Generation of the dangerous goods basic description in the required languages.
New SAP Fiori apps to maintain data for safety data sheets (SDS), sections 6, 11 and 12
With SAP S/4HANA Cloud, you manage safety data sheets (SDS) according to chemical regulations and requirements. A safety data sheet is an important component of product stewardship. It is legally required in most countries/regions of the world to ensure safe handling of chemicals and other hazardous products. Safety data sheet formats can vary from source to source within a country/region, depending on national requirements. Safety data sheets are a widely-used system for cataloging information on chemicals, chemical compounds, and chemical mixtures. Safety data sheet information may include instructions for the safe use and potential hazards associated with a particular material or product. The safety data sheet should be available for reference in the area where the chemicals are being stored or in use.
- New SAP Fiori app to manage accidental release measures data for unpacked products (SDS, section 6): Here you must inform about the methods of cleaning and the precautions to be taken
- New SAP Fiori app to manage toxicological information for substances (SDS, section 11): Here you must list the toxicological indications of the product. Specifically, you must indicate the adverse health effects according to the different routes of exposure (inhalation, ingestion, projection, etc.).
- New SAP Fiori app to manage ecological information for unpacked products and substances (SDS, section 12): Here, you must specify the ecotoxicity of the product as well as its mobility, persistence,and degradability.
- Release concept to control when information is ready to be used
- Use of translated standardized texts (phrases) to maintain information
- Option to provide additional notes and attachments for further explanation of the information entered
If you’re interested to learn more about these innovations, join our SAP Learning Hub and participate in our SAP S/4HANA Cloud Early Release Series. Read this blog to find out how you can license for the Enterprise Support Edition as a Customer / Partner and benefit from our regular release series either live or on-demand.
For more information on SAP S/4HANA Cloud, check out the following links:
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud release info: http://www.sap.com/s4-cloudrelease
- Sven Denecken’s SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2011 Release Blog
- The Link Collection for Product Compliance here
- Inside SAP S/4HANA Podcast here
- Best practices for SAP S/4HANA Cloud here
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud Customer Community: register here
- Feature Scope Description here
- What’s New here
- Help Portal Product Page here
- Implementation Portal here
Follow us via @SAP and #S4HANA, or myself via @VoglerChrist and LinkedIn