Artificial Intelligence on SAP: What You Need to Know
SAP provides integrated AI solutions that focus on three foundations:
- SaaS application with AI built-in—SAP applications incorporate automation, intelligent insights, and optimized processes that leverage adaptive intelligence.
- AI-ready infrastructure—SAP applications allow you to build and deploy AI applications, providing easy access to SAP services, data orchestration based on AI, and open source frameworks.
- Data infrastructure—SAP helps you store, process, and access all types of data from any sources, and use the SAP HANA database to manage data at each stage of the AI lifecycle.
This article provideS brief overviews of SAP AI products and services for conversational AI, intelligent robotic automation, AI business services, and data intelligence.
SAP Data Intelligence
Information management and artificial intelligence (AI) are highly connected. While AI provides extensive benefits, the data requirements and complexity associated with deploying and operating it can be challenging. With the growth in data volumes, and diversity of data types and sources, most businesses need a mix of tools to get value from the data.
SAP Data Intelligence is a unified, comprehensive data management solution that supports AI operations. As the data orchestration layer of the SAP business technology platform, it transforms disorganized datasets into data insights.
AI projects are a combined effort between algorithm developers and IT teams that deploy services for business use. With SAP Data Intelligence, algorithm developers can smoothly move their data science models from development to design and implementation. This is an organizational paradigm known as Machine Learning Operations (MLops)
SAP Data Intelligence lets data scientists access structured, unstructured or streaming data sources from cloud, IoT, SAP applications and third-party applications. It provides automatic indexing for fast searchability. It even lets data scientists generate machine learning models directly within the service, or bring in existing models.
The solution integrates with open source tools familiar to both data scientists and IT teams, including Jupyter Notebooks, R, and Python. Automated Machine Learning (AutoML) capabilities allow teams to train and run models at the click of a button, enabling faster and more effective data science work. AutoML creates data science pipelines automatically, with templated configurations and workflow automation.
SAP Conversational AI
SAP conversational AI is the interactive AI layer of the SAP business platform, providing one interface that lets users build and monitor intelligent chatbots to automate tasks and workflows.
Conversational AI provides three key features:
- Multilingual chatbots—leverages high-performance natural language processing (NLP) technology to build realistic chatbots in any language.
- Built for large teams—provides multiple teams in an enterprise with a chatbot building platform that offers simple UX, collaboration tools, organizational accounts, version control and multiple environments.
- Accelerated development—the chatbot development kit is fully integrated into SAP software, so any organization that runs business processes based on SAP technology can get a powerful corporate chatbot up and running in days.
SAP Intelligent Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
RPA helps organizations automate manual repetitive processes using intelligent bots. It is the automated process automation layer of the SAP business technology platform. RPA lets you create, schedule, manage, and monitor bots that can automate manual, repetitive processes.
It offers the following benefits:
- Eliminating repetitive employee activities—organize time-consuming manual tasks by developing bots that support scalable, error-free business operations.
- Improve customer experience—improve operational speed and efficiency, respond proactively to customer requests, and supplement customer response resources.
- Continuous improvement—deliver intelligent bots that consolidate tasks across the organization, and can be continuously adapted to improve performance.
SAP AI Business Services
SAP AI Business Services offers multiple applications and services based on machine learning (ML) and AI, integrated into one offering. It enhances the customer experience of the SAP Intelligent Suite, by automating and optimizing business processes, making artificial intelligence easy to use throughout the enterprise.
SAP AI business services are reusable services with generic characteristics that can be used throughout the enterprise. They solve problems discovered in multiple processes and are not unique to a single application—for example, document processing or translation.
You can leverage AI Business Services to rethink your existing processes. These AI-based business services enhance the organization’s data assets with SAP AI infrastructure, like Conversational AI, RPA, and Data Intelligence . These business services are provided in the form of open and customizable building blocks you can integrate into any process.
Employees and relevant parties can use SAP AI Business Services to leverage ML services without any data science knowledge. The service provides common ML and AI capabilities, which you can apply to multiple processes by using a simple REST API.
The APIs are reliable and available for inference and training. Additionally, SAP provides monitoring, support, deployment, and ongoing operations, and ML models can be further optimized to support specific use cases.
SAP provides an entire ecosystem for building and deploying AI services in the enterprise. This article described four key SAP services within this architecture, which provide the following capabilities:
- Supporting data management and automation of machine learning tasks carried out by scientists, with the SAP Data Intelligence.
- Enabling teams to build chatbots that integrate with organizational data and SAP applications, using SAP Conversational AI.
- Enabling the organization to automate processes and gain efficiencies through AI/ML services, with SAP Intelligence Robotic Process Automation (RMA).
- Unifying all AI capabilities into a single platform and allowing the business to deploy AI/ML services into any business process, with SAP AI Business Services.