In May 2020, I had the opportunity to host a webinar called “Getting the Most out of Allocations in the SAP Analytics Cloud”. This blog post series is intended to complement the webinar and to serve as a guide to succeeding with allocations in the SAP Analytics Cloud.
What are allocations?
Allocations in the SAP Analytics Cloud are a helpful tool for organizations to distribute out values collected on one object to several other receiving objects, based on a driver. A driver is what tells the system how much of the collected value to put to each receiving object. For example, an organization wants to allocate out their IT expenses to other departments at the end of the quarter based on headcount.
Using Allocations in the SAP Analytics Cloud:
Setting up an Allocation Process:
The Allocation functionality in the SAP Analytics Cloud can be used to allocate plan data. In the SAP Analytics Cloud, we set up an Allocation Process, which consists of 2 parts:
Running an Allocation:
- Allocations can be run from stories using the Allocation button or as part of a Data Action
- When you run it, you will be prompted to select the Allocation Process you want to run as well as the version in which you would like to run it on (you can also choose to create a private version)
- On the second prompt, you’ll be asked to confirm the scope of the allocation:
- Use Point of View: uses the filters you have defined in the story you are in
- Refine Filters: allows you to specify values for each dimension
- No Filters: runs on all data
This Blog post series will cover the following scenarios (titles will be linked as they are published):
Part 1: Basic Scenario: Allocation by Entity
Part 2: Allocation using the overwrite dimension
Part 3: Allocation using a booking Account
Part 4: Allocation using a Calculated Account
Part 5: Allocation using a Reference Dimension
Part 6: Allocation with Repetition
Part 7: Multi-driver Allocation with Weight