Migrating to Sap Business Application Studio
As we all know on November 13, 2020 the SAP Cloud Platform, Neo Trail Environment will be discontinued, as a result SAP Web IDE Full-Stack Trail will also be discontinued where, SAP Web IDE Full-Stack Licensed customers can continue using SAP Web IDE Full-Stack.
But, before this you need to start using SAP Business Application Studio Trail (BAS) the new cloud-based Integrated Development Environment, as it is called as the next generation intelligent SAP Web IDE Full-Stack.
Here, we can see how can we setup the account, creating applications, build and run and deploy into Cloud Foundry.
- Have an account in SAP Cloud Platform.
STEPS TO SETUP SAP BAS (Business Application Studio):
STEP 1: Log in to Sap Cloud Platform
- Go to https://account.hanatrial.ondemand.com/ and login to your account.
- Click Enter your Trail Account to get the Cloud Foundry.
STEP 2: Subscribing SAP BAS
For Trail account, SAP BAS is available on:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)- Europe (Frankfurt) or US East (VA) regions.
If you do not have an account in any of these regions, you need to create:
- Provider = Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Region = Europe (Frankfurt) or US East (VA).
- Select the tile of your subaccount to subscribe for Business Application Studio.
- Go to Subscriptions and search for Application Studio and click on the tile of SAP Business Application Studio.
- Click on Subscribe.
STEP 3: Launch SAP Business Application Studio
- After subscribing the studio click on Go To Application in the Description tile.
- You might be asked some legal terms, check the box and click on OK.
- Now, you will navigating into the tab where SAP BAS loads and asks you to create your Dev Space.
- Bookmark the tab url, for easier way to get back to your SAP BAS later.
STEPS TO CREATE DEV SPACE :
In SAP Business Application Studio, you are provided with one or more Dev Spaces you can create according to your application type. Each application type require different set of tools, which are provided in the studio.
It provides terminal access to the file system so that you can run and test your application in the dev space itself and also you can download the dev space and import the contents from one dev space to another.
- Locate to your SAP BAS from your subaccount as discussed above.
- Create the Dev Space by clicking on Create Dev Space.
- Enter dev Space name.
- Select the type of application in the below options.
- Click on the Create Dev Space.
The Dev Space which is created is in the status STARTING , wait until its status is in RUNNING it may take a couple of minutes.
Note: Only one Devspace can be in running at a time and you are allowed to create maximum 2 Devspaces.
- Open the created dev Space after its status is in Running and click on the dev space name.
So, by this you have successfully created Dev Space in your SAP Business Application Studio.
STEPS TO CREATE,BUILD AND DEPLOY APPLICATION :
Step 1: Click on Open Workspace at the top-left of your page in Explorer.
Step 2: Connect to Cloud Foundry End Point
- Click on the bottom-left of your page to start the connection which is blue color.
- After clicking on that page you will be asking to give the cloud foundry end point for Trail Account, https://api.cf.eu10.hana.ondemand.com
- Click on Enter and give your Email Address.
- After entering your email and password it will ask for organization and space details which shows you in suggestions enter and you will be getting a pop up like organization and space has been set.
Step 3: Create New Project
Click on Create Project from Template or you can get your project from GIT and select the type and click on Next.
Select the target environment (Cloud Foundry) and Template (SAP Fiori) and click on Next and give your project name.
Select Standalone Approuter for runtime and click on Next.
Give the module names and turn off the authentication(preferable) and give the namespace for your app.
Give the View name and service as No and click on Next. Then your project will be created.
Click on Open in New Workspace which is prompted by SAP Business Application Studio after the project has been generated.
There where, Your Project has been successfully created.
Step 3: Build your Project
- Right click on mta.yaml and select the Build MTA in order to trigger this process and deploy it to Cloud Foundry.
- After clicking on that check console where your task will start processing.
- Then after the process gets completed, mta _archives file will be generated in the project tree.
Step 4: Deploy Project to Cloud Foundry
- Right click on that mta_archives file you will be getting an option Deploy.
- Before that check whether the Cloud foundry organization and space was set.
Deployment of your task will be started and you will getting a URL in the terminal where the app is deployed into Cloud Foundry.
Here, the app is deployed so you can even check in your trail account details there you will be getting the deployed application in space details.
STEPS TO RUN APPLICATION :
- Click on Run button towards left cornor and add UI Module to Run Configuration.
- Give the webapp details in the popover and versions according to the suggestions then UI module will be added to configurations to run.
- Click on run option beside the file and a popup will be triggered to show the output click on Expose and Open you will be navigated into output.
Here, you can see your application output.
These are some reference links in which you can find tutorials and Guide to start SAP Business Application Studio. These might be useful for you all to start your SAP BAS.
This below link is the tutorial where you can complete step by step procedure from your account credentials.
The following link is the guide, you can download it though…
You can checkout about SAP BAS here.
You have accomplished the following tasks,
- Setting up account
- Creating Dev Space
- Build the application
- Run the app locally
- Deploying into Cloud Foundry
Thank you for your valuable time……..