HANA DB Upgrade to from 1.0 to HANA 2.0 and XSA Migration: A Hybrid Approach
In the last block I have discussed about the different strategies on HANA DB upgrade and migration to HANA 2.0. Also shared my preferable option to go with Hybrid Module.
Today I will discussion about the details process and steps in hybrid approach. I will discuss in very simple and easy way and to the point with a view to HANA Developer or Modeler.
In this approach we will –
- Upgrade the HANA DB from 1.0(SPS12) to HANA2.0 SPS(04).
- The Upgradation the XSC environment to XSA environment.
- Slowly Migrate the HANA 1.0 objects to HANA 2.0 Objects.
1. Upgrade the HANA DB from 1.0(SPS12) to HANA2.0 SPS(04) :
In this steps we will upgrade to HANA 2.0. The existing user or developer will do not have any Impact in their work as they can use the existing object and database artifacts using HANA artifacts and existing BOBJ reports can access the existing HANA View. For this step
I will only describe only those points which as a HANA modeler or developer must know.
a. Prerequisite for DB upgrade to HANA 2.0 :
- Upgrade to latest CPU generation.
- DB consistency check before and the upgrade
- Operating system check for requirements for checking software parameters)
- Check ABAP parameter regarding HDB
- Check HDB parameters.
b. Steps for Upgrade to HANA 2.0:
## Hardware and Operating system checking:
This checking is performed to meet the requirement required for upgrade.
## Backup the database:
Backup the database using the SAP HANA Studio.
## Need to download the SAP HANA 2.0 Platform Edition Software:
Please download the HANA2.0 software from Support portal. Then place it to a sever location where it can be shared to any installation path after extracting.
## Run hdblcm:
Need to run hdblcm to upgrade to HANA 2.0 in you HANA DB Server using Linux command prompt to the earlier HANA instance. There are lot of option which you need to be select but chose all component to be updated. Check the version from HANA Studio
## Check upgrade logs from a /var/tmp file and run ./hdbinst to verify log. From LCAPPS directory
## Install the update HANA Client suitable for HANADB 2.0
## Start application and check the database artifacts by testing group and domain wise to check if every thing is reflected and functioning properly or not.
2. The Upgradation the XSC environment to XSA environment.
This Part also is SAP HANA Basis job oriented. However I will discuss to the point which a HANA developer or modeler must know.
To upgrade to XSA environment we need to install the HANA XSA runtime environment from HANA lifecycle management. We can download the latest version of the XS Advanced runtime and the XSA components from the SAP ONE Support Portal.
The steps are below –
a. Start the SAP HANA XS Advanced runtime installation from the Install tool. This tool can be launched from SAP HANA cockpit or direct URL.
c. Step 4 is most important where you need to give the database credential to the XSA environment.
d.6, 7, 8, and 9 are for Streaming, Dynamic Tiering, Accelerator and Remote Data Sync when you selected those for installation.
e. Latter steps are need to follow and provide required parameter and then the installation complete after step 13.
f. Check the version after installation and check if you able to log into the XSA environment.
3. Slowly Migrate the HANA 1.0 objects to HANA 2.0 Objects:
In this process slowly we will migrate the objects of the existing HANA 1.o project to the newly deployed HANA XS Advanced environment. There are two types of object a.content objects(Calculation view, analytical privilege’s, Decision’s tables etc.) and b.catalog Object( hdbtables ,tablefunctions ,hdbprocedures etc.) which we need to be migrated two XSA environment.
The basic architecture of the Migration should be like below –
XS Advanced Migration Assistant is the tool used for migrate the above object from XSC to XSA environment. In this blog I am describing the process and the steps very simple and straight way so that a HANA modeler/Developer can use this blog as a guidance easily.
Below are the phases for project artifact migration:
## Preparation Phase: In this phase we will prepare both the content and the catalog object for Migration process.
Catalog object preparation: For normal catalog object not much activity needed. Just put it in an delivery unit and push the delivery unit to XS Advanced Migration Assistant and the tool will do the necessary conversion automatically. The necessary conversion includes –
- Automatically removal of schema references
- Synonym generation for object for cross container access
- creation of equivalent designed time suitable for HDI container
- For each object like table separate two files created like .hdbtable and .hdbindex as HDI based on “one object file”.
Content object preparation :
For content object we need to convert:
- All script based calculation view ,analytical, attribute into graphical calculation view using table function. This process use the migrate option of HANA studio. I will discuss the details steps in the next blog.
- Conversion of the XML based analytic privileges into SQL analytical privilege’s. This is a manually operation which need to be done manually. Assistant tool cannot convert XML based analytical privilege’s directly. I will discussion this conversion in separate vlog.
- Conversion of Decision table to suitable format for assistant tool. This option is available in HANA Studio. I will discuss the details process in separate blogs.
## Installation and Configuration phase :
This phase is consists of the following steps –
- Download and install the XS Advanced Migration Assistant tool.
- configure the tool and connect the XSC and XSA environment.
- Run the Migration tool.
## Migration Process Phase: In this phase we will select select the delivery unit ,source target systems which include the below steps –
- Prepare Delivery Unit or Package.
- Command execution using Migration assistant tool. The command should look like the below – xs-migration –target-dir /root/tmp/plb/migration DU2,xxx.com
- This command will migrate object of DU2 and store the migrated object into /root/tmp/plb/migration folder.
## Migration Report checking:
Check the migration report generated by the Migration Assistant tool and fix those problem if any before migrating again.
## Deployment phase : This phase will follow the below steps :-
1. Import Migrated content into Web IDE.
2. Build the content and deploy the object in HDI container.
3. Push the code the repository.
Now you will have a idea how the upgrade and migration process to be executed one by one. No more topic for this blog. I will discuss the detail steps which I mention in this blog like Scripted view migration in my next blog.