Benefit from SAP Master Data Governance on SAP S/4HANA 2020
Find out about the innovations and enhancements in the area of master data governance with SAP S/4HANA 2020 …
SAP Master Data Governance on SAP S/4HANA is a highly integrated application suite for enterprise master data management that companies can use for various implementation styles and use cases:
- Central governance of master data means that you centrally create or change master data in workflow within a staging area in which you complete the data based on business rules and validations and manual expertise from domain experts. Once a master data record has passed the workflow and is finally approved you can distribute it across the enterprise landscape.
- Consolidation of master data means that you identify duplicates in de-centrally owned and distributed master data, manage the key-mapping information and obtain the best record for further use in enterprise analytics or downstream business processes
- Data quality management enables you to actively track and control the quality of your master data and remediate issues directly from within the application.
- Mass Processing which lets you perform bulk changes in master data based on a governance pattern
- Process analytics which help you to track the performance of the master data processing activities with MDG
Deep integration with other SAP applications and openness to 3rd party offerings is also a key differentiator of SAP MDG.
|As pointed out earlier, innovations on SAP MDG on S/4HANA have long since outpaced those in SAP MDG on ERP, and also with SAP MDG on S/4HANA 1909 the gap already widened dramatically. This path continues with SAP MDG on S/4HANA 2020 and beyond.|
MDG Innovations with SAP S/4HANA 2020
SAP Master Data Governance on SAP S/4HANA 2020 brings innovations according to the capabilities outlined above. Let me give you a few examples:
Central Governance comes with various enhancements, most of which requested by customers participating in the SAP Customer Connection program*. These include:
Related to Business Partner data and generic framework:
- Improved handling for central deletion and for blocking messages
for business partner, supplier, and customer data
- Enhanced change-request list with object data
- Enriched MDG business partner data model and UI
For a closer look, about innovations in the area of business partner data and general MDG framework, see:
Related to Material data and BoM handling:
- Better performance for multi-record processing for materials
- Enhanced material search
- Improved messages in master data governance for materials
- Better integration of material and BOM governance processes
For a closer look, about innovations in the area of material data, see:
Related to Financials data:
- New copy function for general ledger accounts
Enhanced process analytics in central governance
With process analytics on change requests you can monitor ongoing governance processes and identify and fix process gaps and bottlenecks. It has been improved by providing:
- Out-of-the-box analytics of change request work items
- Framework enabling master data specialists to analyze change request processes by master data attributes and organizations data
For details about enhanced process analytics in central governance, read the SAP Community blog:
Get Your MDG Change-Request Analytics Drilldown by Master Data Attributes and Organization Data by Kefeng Wang.
Consolidation and Mass Processing
There is extended scope and enhanced process and quality control in consolidation and mass processing of Business Partner and Product data:
- Increased process control through authorizations based on process-step level and applicability of a strict 4-eyes principle (meaning that nobody involved in previous process steps can continue to be involved in the upcoming steps of the consolidation run)
- Extended data model coverage in Business Partner (Credit Management)
- Usage of rules from the data quality management component in the validation and activation steps
See also the detailed presentation: What’s New in Consolidation and Mass Processing with SAP Master Data Governance on SAP S/4HANA
Data Quality Management
The extended use of data quality management in master data processes includes:
- Ability to export and import data quality rules
- Reuse of a single rule implementation for multiple master data processes such as consolidation and mass processing
- Enablement of data quality analytics in SAP Analytics Cloud
For details about the integration with SAP Analytics Cloud, read the SAP Community blog:
Get Your Master Data Quality Insight from SAP Analytics Cloud and MDG Integration
and watch the related 7-minute-video.
See also the detailed presentation: What’s New in Data Quality Management with SAP Master Data Governance on SAP S/4HANA
Integration of Master Data
Providing high-quality, consistent, supplier master data by enabling end-to-end processes, starting with the request and qualification of a new supplier, continuing with purchasing steps in operational ERP software, and using Master Data Governance hub for optimizing the master-data quality of suppliers includes now:
- Best-practice integration scenarios enabling the maintenance of supplier data in SAP Ariba Supplier Lifecycle and Performance (SLP) and SAP Master Data Governance.For a detailed description about how to use SAP Master Data Governance for Supplier and SAP Ariba SLP in different integration scenarios, see the documentation on SAP Help Portal.
See also the detailed presentation: Integration Updates: SAP Ariba Supplier Lifecycle and Performance – SAP Master Data Governance
This list provides an overview of the innovations that come with S/4HANA 2020 in the area of master data governance. I hope they are beneficial for your business. For an additional view, you may also check the SAP Roadmap Explorer (filtered for SAP Master Data Governance on S/4HANA).
* For the current collection program for SAP Master Data Governance, check this Customer Influence site
If we will upgrade to SAP Master Data Governance on SAP S/4HANA 1909 Global Ledger which is in UAT now and will be implemented in Production in Feb. 2021, would we get the SAP Master Data Governance on SAP S/4HANA 2020 instead?
We generally recommend to go on the latest release version, but there is no automatism. If you’d like to stay on the 1909 release for the productive version, then that’s OK. It’s your choice.
Excellent summary of product upgrades. Hope the changes related to Material data and Bill of Material (BoM) handling enhances the functionality for SAP Integration with Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES).
Thanks for the summary and the content included in the blog.
Good, Tks for share!
Well done, very helpful.... please continue for future versions 😉
Will do. In the meantime, check the ongoing updates in the MDG space.
it is a good article on master data governance keep going markus
Is Credit Management role is available in Customer Master in MDG 2020?
Please check this related SAP Community blog post and the comment that was made to it.