SAP Business Application Studio – A new arena for Next-Gen Application developers
SAP has come up with new cloud-based development environment i.e. SAP Business Application Studio, for multi-cloud environment. SAP Business Application Studio is a very powerful development environment, tightly integrated with the SAP Cloud Platform and well suited for developing business applications.
It works like a one-stop tool to explore many areas simultaneously. For e.g. integrated terminal, modelling workflow, S4HANA extensions, etc.
It provides you desktop-like experience in the cloud. Design of this studio is influenced by Microsoft Visual Studio code, making the developer productive. This is suitable from basic level developer to Full-Stack developer with full control development environment from back-end to front-end.
This would be the only environment for all kind of applications, by replacing all below tools into one tool SAP BAS.
- SAP UI5 / FIORI apps using templates and elements – webIDE Full-Stack
- HANA Native – XS & XSJS – HANA webIDE & HANA Studio
- ABAP on Cloud – RESTful Application Programming – Eclipse with cloud system connectivity
- Cloud Application Programming (CAP), Node.js & Java apps – Eclipse, Atom
- Single environment for all kind of applications.
- No local installation & setup required
- No JRE dependency
- Industry best practices for developers without switching to multiple applications
- Integration with API HUB, on-premise, on-cloud.
- Provide the flexibility for all the developers, for e.g. templates, Git, Mock servers, OPA5 testing for FIORI apps, etc.
- Enhances the productivity with direct command execution through integrated command line.
- Run configuration feature makes it an easy option and offer single click to simulate the test in locally or deploy your app on cloud directly
- UI5/Fiori developer
- ABAP developer (Planed in future version)
- Native HANA developer (Planed in future version)
- Node.js (in future version) developer
- Java application developer
- RESTful Application programming (RAP) dev
- Cloud Application programming (CAP) dev
Discontinuing the trial versions?
NEO environment webIDE will be decommissioned from 13th Nov 2020
Note:- SAP is going to discontinue SAP Web IDE Full-Stack Trial only, but SAP Web IDE Full-Stack licensed customers can continue using SAP Web IDE Full-Stack, it is available and supported by SAP and as of now, no news to discontinue the same.
webIDE personal edition is still available, for your local machine.
Refer below link for UI5 tools
Another useful link for installing the tools
Note: Eclipse & NEO webIDE works on only JRE version 1.8 and it does not work on any other versions of JRE.
You get below warning from SAP, while accessing NEO environment –
SAP has provided below alternatives; in case you want to retain your code: –
- Migrate all your apps/developments to Business Application Studio
- Buy webIDE full-stack subscription from SAP Store
- For HANA developers, they can still use HANA webIDE in the Cloud Foundry environment, please find the snapshots below to access the same.
This temporary solution will be available until SAP HANA development tools are supported in SAP Business Application Studio.
Below are the the snapshots, to continue the HANA developments on webIDE tool:
Transformation of UI5/Fiori development tool: –
SAP Business Application Studio is available with the following models:
- Consumption-based pricing
Customers can prepay for consumption of Cloud Platform services with cloud credits.
- Subscription based pricing
Customers can purchase the SAP Business Application service for a fixed price.
Please look at the below link for detailed costing-
How to start: –
Step 1 – Create SAP Cloud Account
Step 2 – Subscribe & set up to BAS for development
Recommendation: – Try out SAP Business Application Studio.
You can also use SAP provided GW system to connect with or connect to any of your SAP system. There are lot of SAP blogs available on SCN to start with.
Note: – It could be more difficult to learn BAS tool, than webIDE, I believe this is due to Cloud Foundry environment itself, as it makes it more robust and run without JRE support.