Are you new to SAP charm implementation Project and inquisitive to comprehend the insights of handling the routine task of Charm?
Here you go! I have shared my insightful experience which outlines the administering part of Charm on your daily activities.
Common Question and answers related to Charm in Solman 7.2
1. Should I create Charm CR for each and every individual change that is carried in the scoped landscape?
Not required. For one topic one CR is sufficient. Under one CR we can create any number of Urgent changes and normal changes until the desired change is implemented.
2. What is the Difference between UC and NC?
Urgent change – can be imported quickly anytime and original TR gets imported to QA and to PROD.
Normal Change – Can be imported to QA anytime. But PROD import is possible and recommended only once or twice (depends on customer need) every month. First TOC is imported to QA and post confirmation original TR is imported to QA.
3. Is all TR import’s automated in Charm?
In standard scenario except Normal Change PROD import, all others are automated import’s via status change.
4. What is action and status in charm?
Action is the button we select and its acknowledged by status in the workflow
5. Can I create new change document after CAB approval?
Not possible. Before sending to CAB approval, number of UC and NC has to be finalized and to be sent to CAB approval.
6. What is the difference between confirm and complete action Button.
In Confirm status,CD is non editable. In Complete status, still it’s possible to take it for new developments.
7. What is the difference between phase cycle and continual cycle?
Continual cycle is for Urgent change (Daily). Phase cycle is for Normal Change (Bi-weekly/Monthly releases)
8. What is the difference between CR and CD
CR or change request is mandatory first step for any change in Charm which goes for CAB approval.
CD or Change document is a subtask under a CR. CD is of 5 types. Urgent change, Admin change, Normal change, general change and standard change. CD takes Change manager Approval for PROD import only in Urgent Change scenario.
9. Can I create a CD directly without CR?
Yes it is technically possible, but as per charm norms it has to be aligned under a CR. If not, UC may not go for CAB approval which is breaching of charm policies.
10. Which comes first? CD or CR?
It’s always CR comes first. Next is the CD. CR is for CAB Approval. CD is for development team to work.
11. Is approval Process same for NC and UC?
No it’s different. Normal change doesn’t take PROD Approval whereas Urgent change take’s Change manager Approval before PROD import.
12. Can I create a CD first and then append it under a CR?
No it’s not recommended. CR has to be created first. Post CR CAB approval CD(UC,NC, GC) can be created.
13. What if I released TR Sub task and main task from DEV system manually.
It’s not possible to move via Charm if main task is released. Its always sub task has to be release.
14. User Role definition in charm – Explained in brief
• Requester: Authorized to raise a CR in charm
• Developer: Changes status to “In development”. Creates TR (Workbench/Customizing)
• Tester: Changes status to “Successfully tested “post testing in QAS.
• Change Manager: First validation done by CM when a CR is created. Then Sends the CR to CAB for approval. Post CAB approval creates NC/UC/AC depending on scenario. Only in Urgent change, CM provides the approval for PROD import. CM is a key user who handles all responsibilities of CR.
• CAB: Approves CAB
• IT Operator: Imports CD(TR ) into PROD system.
Hope the above points should have clarified the significant points.Profound understanding of all the above points should suffice for administration of the comprehensive tool. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get the ball rolling. Cheers!