Am writing this blog to share on a new feature of Custom Migration Object Modeler and is more relevant to Functional Consultants. There are good blogs available on this topic (Migration Object Modeler in SAP S/4HANA).
This blog will not have any deep technical terms like ABAP Coding logic etc, I tried to keep this blog simple for Functional Consultants and is also a high level overview.
Now, lets go 😊
In any green field implementation projects, we have seen uploading the assessment cycles was little tricky – this was handled either through LSMW/BDC recording or using the standard program RKALTRANS using download/upload options or may be developing a custom program.
In SAP S/4HANA, a new feature is available for Uploading the data ie, SAP S/4HANA Migration Object Modeler. This tool provides standard templates for uploading Master Data like GL Accounts, Cost Centers, Activity Price, Profit Center etc.
We will just walk through on how to use these standard templates, as the objective of this blog is to understand creating a Custom Migration Object Modeler.
1. Using Standard Templates:
From SAP S/4HANA System:
- Use Tcode: LTMC
- It opens Internet explorer
- Click on Create to create a new project
5. It Creates the SAP standard templates available/application for the relevant SAP S/4HANA Product Version.
6. You can click the required one it, gives the following warning message
7. Click OK – it generates the object – download the template – fill the data and upload.8. Click on download the template – it provides XML file and save it in a required location.
9. Provide the relevant data as per the template. The template provides the description of field details. This is nothing but a source structure (remember LSMW recording steps those who worked on LSMW)
10. You can upload the file from the relevant location.After upload select the line, click on Activate and start transfer. Follow the pop-up instructions, NEXT…than finish. The screen is self explanatory.
11. Once data is uploaded, the status becomes Finished and the file will remain here based on the data retention days. (minimum 1day)
12. Please note, if you are trying to upload the data again in the same migration object modeler, it will not allow as the data still exists based on the days of retention time. It gives the message data already exists.
13.You may refer the SAP Help Portal to understand further help.sap.com
Now, we will discuss on our objective of this blog. This blog looks lengthy, I tried to keep it simple and interesting for Functional Consultants about this feature available in SAP S/4HANA.
2. Create Custom Object Modeler
We will use FM: KGAL_CREATE_CYCLE in our custom object to create the Assessment Cycle(KSU1)
It updates the following tables – Sequence of tables are important. As this will have meaningful creating of structures and templates for upload.
|T811K||Allocation: Key fields|
|T811F||Allocations: Element table|
|T811L||Assessments/Distributions: Long Text|
|T811G||Field Groups for Allocation Structure|
To upload the Assessment cycle, we need to have the information about fields of legacy system which are filled in and any additional fields required for business to be captured – but follows the standard fields for creation of Assessment Cycle.
SAP Custom Migration Object Modeler would be created in SAP S/4HANA System for a given project.
To create a Custom Migration Object Modeler, follow the following steps:
- If Project is already created or you know under which project you need this custom object.
- Once it is known, use tcode: LTMOM in SAP S/4HANA
- It opens the Display Migration Object Modeler.
- Click on continue
- It goes into display mode
- Click on Display<>Change
- Click on Source Structures and Create the Source Structures as per the required field
- Click on Source Structure on the left pane
- On the right side you can see the source structure, right click mouse and select Append Structure to Lower Level.
- Create the Allocation cycles as the top node and below that Allocations:Segments, Allocations: Keyfields, Allocations Element Table, Assessments/Distributions: Long Text, Field Groups for allocation Cycle
- Next step after creation of source structure is to do the structure mapping – of source structure and target structure.
- You have the check feature to see any issues in structure mapping.
- This is the key activity – here you may take ABAP help or you can do yourself about using table loop, mapping only option. This will appear on the target structure side.
- This is very important step for each table structure/target structure.
- This will determine how the assessment cycle gets created automatically.
- After structure mapping with target structure is done – focus on each structure on the right side and see how the mapping has taken place – whether you need only mapping or loop table or read table. I have selected only loop table for all table structure and rest mapping only – it worked well.
- Next step is to do the field mapping of source structure with target structure.
- Ensure the required fields are mapped.
- You can also define any fixed values or rules or variables.
- Once done, you can make a walk-through check of source structure, the mapping type, field mapping etc.
- Next step is to Generate Run time Object – we can find this pushbutton on the menu screen.
- Once this object is generated – it should turn to green, if there are no errors. If errors occur, it would be Red and need to resolve the errors.
- After this, use LTMC transaction code
- It opens IE Browser
- Click on your project (you selected for creating the migration object modeler)
- In that project, you will find your custom migration object.
- Click on the custom migration object – download the template, fill the values as per the requirements and upload the template. The template would look similar to this, based on how defined your structures. The template format is based on the Source Structure.
This will work for only one cycle with many segments.
If you are trying to have multiple cycles upload than we can use a custom functional module combining the key components of Multiple Cycles FM: KGAL_ENTER_MANY_CYCS and FM: KGAL_CREATE_CYCLE in the custom migration object modeler – you need to take the help of ABAP to achieve this requirements. It is possible to upload multiple cycles in the custom migration object modeler using custom ZFM. I could not find a single FM to upload Multiple cycles in a single upload.
I have not provided the step by step process involved, as the blog would be very heavy and loses interest.
The idea of this blog is to share the concept that the Assessment Cycles can also be uploaded based on FM or custom FM using Custom Object Migration Modeler and with a easy to use template for upload.
You may refer to SAP Blogs, SAP KBAs and SAP Help Portal for more information on use of Custom Migration Object Modeler in SAP S/4HANA.
This concept is just not limited to Assessment Cycles only – the idea can be extended to any of our FICO requirements, provided the FM is tested to see its feasibility to use in the custom migration object modeler. Anyways, the custom migration object modeler can be used for any module based on FM.
Thank you for reading this blog. 😊
With best regards