SAP S/4HANA Cloud: Landscape Set Up and Transport Management – Part 2
In continuation to my previous blog ” SAP S/4HANA Cloud: Landscape Set Up and Transport Management – Part 1” where I talked about Landscape set up on Cloud ; In this blog I will be covering how we can move the Configurations and In-app Extensions from Quality(Q) System to Production(P) system . Also, we will talk about the time intervals in which we should move our changes generally on Cloud Implementation Projects.
Broadly we can classify our changes in SAP S/4HANA Cloud Essentials of 3 types
So, by now we know that we don’t have the concept of Transport Requests on Cloud!!. Then How can I move my objects to P? Well in Cloud world moving the changes in Production from Quality system can be managed using different Fiori apps:
- “Manage Your Solution” for Configurations
- “Export Software Collection” in Q System and “Import Software Collection” in P system for In-app Extensions and Role changes.
- Manual Changes in Production system – Some configurations need to be done manually in Prod system
During the Realize Phase Based on your Sprint Cycle of 2-3 weeks, you will be doing the configurations /developments, testing and moving them to Production(P) at the end of testing. Typically, in Projects where Sprint Cycles are of 2 weeks changes are moved to Production from Quality System at the end of every 2 weeks.
Let’s have a look at all of these options one by one:
Using Manage Your Solution App:
For all SSC-UIs, you will be using “Configure Your Solution” under Manage Your Solution app in Q system to capture all the configurations.
In case of Starter System, you will have “Request for Q System” at the bottom right under Configure Your Solution whereas in Q system you will have “Proceed to Run Phase” button. Whatever change you make in an SSC-UI will be captured in the current change project. When you release the change project by pressing the ‘Proceed to Run Phase’ button in ‘Manage Your Solution’ app, all the changes that were captured in the current change project are deployed to the Productive System.
Sequence that is followed is listed below:
1. First you need to create a Change Project .
Note: At a time, you can have only one Active Project. Only after the changes are moved to P system at the designated interval it will prompt you to create New Project
2. All the changes made in SSC-UI will be captured in the current change project
As shown below; you will find the Project name that you have created and you can view the history of configured Projects that were moved to Production by using “View Change History” option.
This is how screen of View Change History looks like where you will find all the details of the Change Projects that were moved to P earlier.
Let’s have a look at how you can move the Configurations to P system:
- Under Configure Your Solution; as shown below you will find the button “Proceed to Run Phase“
- When you click on this button – you will get the below message.
- When you click on Ok; it will move the changes to P system. And once the changes are moved; it will prompt you to create new Change Project. These are automatically imported into P system after sometime you needn’t do any manual activity in Prod system to import the Configurations project .
Note: In case Configuration has linked In-app developments; then you need to move the development change first followed by the Configuration.
In-app Extensions using Fiori apps Export Software Collection in Q System and Import Software Collection in P System
- In this case we need to create the Software Collection and need to add all the objects we want to move into Production system manually to the Software Collection using Fiori app “Export Software Collection”. This is how the app landing screen looks like
- Firstly, as shown above, you need to create the Software Collection
- Once it is created you will see the Project in the list as shown
- Then you can add the Objects using “Add Items” that you want to transport in this collection. When you click on “Add Items” it will show all the objects that are not assigned yet and you can add the same.
Below is the Type of Objects in Cloud 2008 that can be added to Software Collection
- Once you have added the objects they will show in your Software collection Example – I added two objects in my software collection Sprint1 and then when you click on Check Button it will check if the dependent objects are added /Not . As shown below since in my case dependent objects are not added , check fails and I get the details in the error log .
- Now you can click on Add missing Items to add the missing dependent objects in the Software Collection
- Once you have validated the Software Collection ; you can click on “Export” to move the same.
- We need to manually import the Software Collection in P system for In-app Extensions using Fiori app “Import Software Collection”
Manual in P System
Any Configuration which has Redo in P System as “Yes” needs to be done in Production system manually. Some manual configurations can be downloaded in Q and imported in P, e.g. output parameter determination.
- 2565500 – Can the transported Custom Business Objects be deleted in the S/4HANA Cloud?
- Once you have moved In-app Extension in One Software Collection; then next time if you make any change in the same object it will be moved in the Old Software Collection name only and you cannot assign it to new name .
Summary: I have tried to capture all the details and I hope this blog will help the people who have just started their Cloud Implementation Journey to understand the concept of moving objects in Cloud World and how it differs from On-Premise.
Once you have understood Landscape and Transport Management in Cloud , to start your developer journey in Cloud please refer my blog SAP S/4HANA Cloud: Developer’s pocket reference taking up Cloud Essentials Build
Thanks Taranam for detailed blog on this ; nicely captured .It helped to clarify my basic doubts . Probably during Realize phase if i get any ; will let you know .
Good one ..
Hi Taranamjit Kaur Dhindsa - I was clear till the last few lines, until I read in the "Important Notes" section, point 2: It says that any change to "In-App" extension will move via the old change project only. I got confused here, because till that line came up, I thought "Change project" is to move configurations and "Export-Import software Collection" was for "In App Extensions". But, in this point, the "Change Project concept" is being related to "In App extensions"....Am I missing out of something? Please guide !
Thanks & Regards
Thanks Srinivas for pointing it out ; I have corrected the same to avoid confusion . Your understanding is right ..
Thanks once again Taranamjit Kaur Dhindsa for this wonderful blog !
Hi Taranamjit Kaur Dhindsa,
Thank you for your blog. Many relevants point were pointed out.
I have one question regarding this statement :
''Whatever change you make in an SSC-UI will be captured in the current change project. ''
In the event that consultants are working on a solution (e.g Test a new scope item) on the side in the Q system and a the same time, the business needs to make a transport to bring some modification, how do we deal that with that kind of situation knowing that we cannot select what we wish to transport in P system?
Thanks in advance,
yes since we can have only one change project active in Q system so fix has to wait or prioritize it over scope item activation . You can use the change project for fix and else sap will send back scope activate ticket saying empty change project is not available in that case.