In this blogpost, we will learn how to Carry Forward Leave Balance via Interim Rule.
The Rule is more apt if your client has below requirements:
- Carry Forward is restricted to certain amount. For example only 5 days are carry forwarded or 50% of the Leave Entitlement is carry forwarded etc.
- Carry forward should be utilized by certain duration. For example carry forward to be utilized by next 6 months or by March 31st of the following year.
- Carry Forward in the same Time Account. For example Your Time Account 2020 is valid from 1/1/2020 to 31/12/2020 then carry forward should happen to the same Time Account 2020 where carry forward leave amount is valid from 1/1/2021 to 30/6/2021 and not to the new Account (i.e 2021).
“Image/data in this blogpost is from demo system. Any resemblance to real data is purely coincidental.”
- EC and EC Time off enabled.
- Recurring Time Account Type.
- 50% of Leave Entitlement to be carry forwarded.
- Carry forwarded leave should be utilized by 30th June the following year.
- Time Account 2020 Carry forward leave to be added to same Time Account i.e 2020.
- If you are making changes to a Live Project:
a) Set the Account Booking Offset to ‘6’. Booking Period of the Time Account extends to next 6 months which means Leave Bookable period will be 1/1/2020 – 30/6/2021.
Account Valid From : 1/1/2020
Account Valid Until : 31/12/2020
Booking Possible From : 1/1/2020
Booking Possible Until : 30/6/2021
b) Add a set statement into your Interim Rule to update the Booking Possible Until period for the existing employee’s Time Account for the current year.
The reason why this statement is required, please refer the KBA mentioned under Reference section.
- If you are not making changes to a Live Project and this is new implementation Project, just follow step ‘a’.
Sample Interim Rule to perform the 50% leave carry forward to the same Time Account bookable until 30th June 2021.
*Note1: The statement highlighted in yellow is required when Interim rule is run for the first time for already live project. After first run remove the statement from the rule. Please refer the KBA attached which explains why this activity is required.
*Note2: Be careful while mentioning the posting date under variable section. In my example the posting date is Account Valid Until+1 that is 1st Jan of the next year. This statement give flexibility to run the Interim Rule in advance no more dependency to run the rule at the year end. However, if you wish to post the carry forward leave 1st Jan of every year, make sure to run Interim Rule any day before 1st Jan as per above rule or change your Posting Date logic as per your requirement.
Write Period-end-Processing Rule to close the current account and run it on 30th June of every year.
Keep IF Condition of the PEP rule as always true, because we would be closing the current account permanently without any carry forward to new account.
Q1. Why do we not use PEP for above requirement?
A1. We know as per standard PEP rule is meant to handle the carry forward scenario. However, with PEP Rule we cannot carry forward certain amount of leave balances to same Time Account. PEP rule always carry forward the balances to new account. Also, through PEP we cannot restrict the validity of the forwarded balance for certain months. Refer KBA – 2530361.
Q2. Why Set Statement is required to update the Bookable period.
A2. The Yellow highlighted Set Statement is required to update the Bookable period of the Time Accounts that exists before this rule is live. Make sure to remove the statement after first run. Refer KBA – 2309405.
Navigate to below links for more details:
Drop in your queries in comment section for any technical assistance with the configuration and understanding.
Hope this Blog post helps you accommodate the client requirement where carry forward is customized and validity period is restricted.