In this blog I will introduce our learning environment for SAP S/4HANA System Conversions, a new offering to help you gain practical experience with System Conversions.
Setting up a learning environment for SAP S/4HANA System Conversions can be quite a laborious task. Therefore, we have created a solution that you can quickly deploy to several major cloud infrastructure providers:
- The solution contains an SAP ERP system, pre-configured to be converted to SAP S/4HANA
- Typical use cases include openSAP courses, inhouse trainings, customer workshops and personal education
- It can be deployed quickly and requires that you have a personal account with a cloud infrastructure provider
- For a System Conversion you need to perform activities in the system that require a background in SAP Basis, SAP Finance, SAP Logistics and ABAP. Therefore, a System Conversion is typically performed by several people.
- An S-User is needed for the SAP Support Portal and for downloading hands-on guides
The solution includes all system landscape components to perform a System Conversion from an SAP ERP source system on SAP ASE database to an SAP S/4HANA 1909 target system, using HANA 2.0 as a database.
There are several use cases why you would use such a learning environment. For example, for in-house trainings. But our primary intention was to provide a “hands-on” option for our three openSAP courses on System Conversions:
- Guide Your SAP S/4HANA Project to Success
- Key Technical Topics in a System Conversion to SAP S/4HANA
- Key Functional Topics in a System Conversion to SAP S/4HANA
These courses have been extremely popular, and more than 100.000 learners have participated in these courses. We received a lot of feedback form participants asking for a system to practice some of the key concepts from these openSAP courses. This is now possible. The video below provides a short overview.
The system landscape for this solution includes three systems as you can see from the diagram below.
To make the learning experience more realistic, we have prepared several tasks in the SAP ERP system. These tasks are very similar to what you also encounter during a typical System Conversion. The tasks are grouped by competency. The key competencies required to perform a System Conversion are SAP Basis, SAP Finance, SAP Logistics and ABAP.
We offer comprehensive documentation for each task to ensure you can complete the System Conversion successfully. Each task is described in a hands-on guide. In addition, you can refer to the video recording for most tasks.
Some tasks have dependencies to other tasks. This means that some tasks can only be started if the previous task has been successfully completed. Otherwise you might encounter errors later in the System Conversion. You may also encounter errors if some configuration is done in the system which is not included in the hands-on guides.
The best way for you to find out more about the solution is by following the link below to the solution overview page, which also contains the Getting Started Guide.
If you book your own CAL solution instance and have questions about or during the conversion, we are happy to answer those in the context of our openSAP courses and the discussion forum available there. Now, have fun with our new CAL solution and happy learning!