Create First Project using SAP Cloud Services (SAP Web IDE & HANA Database) – Part I
This article will help you to create your first full-stack development project on UI5 & HANA Database using SAP Cloud Services. Basically, the idea is to provide beginners and experienced associates to create the whole project in one go, using SAP Cloud Services.
- Create an account on the SAP HANA Trial Platform.
- Need Basic Knowledge of Relational DBMS, SQL, XML, and JS.
- Most Important, Mindset to Explore more options by yourself.
What we will Cover?
- Creation of Database
- Creation of User Interface using SAP IDE
- Creation of OData service
- Customize the User Interface application to consume OData services
Note: For better understanding, we will take a small project scenario and try to follow all the functional and technical aspects to complete our first project using SAP Cloud Services.
How to get into SAP services?
Step1: Create a trial account on the SAP Cloud platform and select the Neo Trial Environment by clicking on Access Neo Trial in the Environment section of the trial home page.
Step2: Click on the Services tab to explore the SAP Cloud Platform Services in Neo Trial Account.
Step3: You will see several enabled services in there but as per this article we need to work with only two services SAP HANA Service and SAP Web IDE Full-Stack.
Step4: This is an important step to follow. Where you must give yourself little time to explore more in these two services, get familiar with the environment tools, and then we will start our project from the scratch.
Let’s talk about the project:
Suppose there is a scenario where we need to maintain all the details of the associates working on the different projects under different project managers. Below is the different functionality we need to achieve in our application:
- Creation of Records from the User Interface
- Display all the records from the Database and project on UI in a tabular format
- Provide Filter Functionality to filter the records based on few fields which will give us easy to search functionality
Technical Design and Flow Process:
- Create a database table with all the necessary fields, here I am going to create a table with a few basic fields, but you can do it with your own choice.
- Create the OData service to consume it in the user interface, this will help us to fetch/send the data from UI to DB or vice-versa.
- Create connectivity between your User interface and services.
- Create a User Interface to display the details, as per your requirement. For the above project, I am going to use create a simple form to create the records and a table to display all the records from the database.
- The below figure will display the flow of our project process is very simple format:
Give yourself a break and try to explore the SAP HANA service and SAP Web IDE one more time. This will give you an edge on what I am going to do to create the project. Here our aim is to create our own first project, so I recommend you all to come up with your own idea to create your very own first project using SAP Cloud Platform services along with me. For your help, I will suggest some of the very simple topics to follow. After topic selection decide the functionalities you want in your project and based on the functionality start designing your database table schemas on paper.
After you finish with the theoretical and functional design about your project, verify it and then we will deep dive into the development of your very own first project using SAP Cloud Service Platform in the next part of the article with the name “Create First Project using SAP Cloud Services (SAP Web IDE & HANA Database) – Part II”.
Help: List of a few project topics
- Student Registration Form
- Quiz System
- Result Management System
- To-Do System with Backtracking and many more.
It seems that NEO trial is no more available. Is there a work around or is this tutorial workable on Cloud Foundry?