The Business Partner OData API (API_BUSINESS_PARTNER) is a simple lightweight RESTful API that enables you to maintain master data related to business partner, customer and supplier. This is an inbound service that simplifies the master data creation and maintenance. This is widely adopted by many SAP customers in integration projects for its ease of use.
If you are interested in exploring this service in detail. Check this link.
Alternatively, this API can be accessed via SAP API Business Hub (api.sap.com) > SAP S/4HANA Cloud > Business Partner (A2X)
The first step in setting up this service in your SAP S/4HANA cloud system is to configure the service as described in the 1RO document . This document explains all the configuration steps in detail.
However, after the configuration, the immediate next question the end users face is how do i access this service.
This blog post aims to address the above question. A step by step guide is provided on how to find the endpoint URL and the required user to access the service. At the end you will find some useful links to help you understand this OData service better and information on how to use the service.
Accessing the OData service after the setup
A step by step description is provided below to access the service after the setup.
- Create a communication user, define communication systems and create a communication arrangement in the target system as described in 1RO document.
- Once the above set up is complete. You can find the SAP_COM_0008 arrangement created in the ‘Communication Arrangements’ Fiori application. Note that the login user should have appropriate authorization to display and access this tile. These details are already mentioned in the 1RO guide.
- To find the endpoint URL. Open the communication arrangement and navigate to the section ‘Inbound Services’. Under this section the URL is generated in the column Service ‘URL/Service Interface’ for the service Business Partner(A2X). Refer screenshot below for visual representation.
- The inbound user required to access this service is available under the section ‘Inbound Communication’.
- Alternatively, this user is found in the Fiori application ‘Maintain Communication users’. In this tile, the option of changing the password and locking the user are available.
After the above steps, we have the endpoint URL and the user required to access this OData service. A simple test would be to call the service using the endpoint URL in any browser. User details should be provided when the browser prompts for the same.
For detailed tests on all the CRUD operations any REST client like POSTMAN or SOAPUI can be used with appropriate payloads based on the operations. The endpoint URL and user details should be filled in the respective sections.
Hope this blog post is informative and helps you to setup and access the Business Partner OData Service. Please leave a comment if you have any further questions or feedback.
- OData for Business Partner
- Understanding OData metadata .
- Add Custom Fields to SAP S/4HANA Business Partner OData API Entities (Blog)