Commodity Code Conundrum
Commodity Code data in SAP S/4HANA are completely different than in ECC 6.0; what you knew to be true in ECC 6.0 is no longer true.
There’s a new data model and new Fiori apps for managing Commodity Codes. The upshot is that your master data processes for Commodity Code require redesign, and master data processes for Material Master require redesign, including inbound interfaces that assign Commodity Codes.
Commodity codes in S/4HANA are now time-dependent, and valid for a material and a country or multiple countries.
Manage Commodity Codes (App ID F2516) is used to maintain the commodity codes.
- Create commodity codes for a numbering scheme.
- Display commodity codes for a numbering scheme.
- Delete commodity codes for a numbering scheme.
- Create and change attributes for commodity codes, such as:
- Validity period
- Special units of measure.
Standard SAP GUI transaction /SAPSLL/CLSNR_01 also works for these tasks.
Classify Products – Commodity Codes (App ID F2151) is used to assign a commodity code time-dependently to products that have not yet been classified.
Reclassify Products – Commodity Codes (App ID F2152) is used to assign another commodity code time-dependently to products that have already been classified before.
Commodity Codes API
In addition to Fiori apps, there are also new API for maintenance of Commodity Codes as well as classification of Materials. These new API are described in SAP Note 2458080.
Because there are no standard mass update tools — either for maintaining lists of valid Commodity Codes or for classification of Materials — you’ll need these API for data migration, crafting your own utilities, and to satisfy integration requirements.
The new data model is supported by these tables:
- /SAPSLL/MARITC – Material Trade Classification
- /SAPSLL/CLSNR – Trade Classification Number
- /SAPSLL/CLSNRT – Description of Trade Classification Number
As of S/4HANA 1809, there’s also functionality for Automatic data upload from external data providers for commodity codes. This functionality includes:
- Manage Content from Data Provider – Commodity Codes (SAP S/4HANA)
- Schedule Content Request to Data Provider – Commodity Codes (SAP S/4HANA)
- Maintain commodity codes in customizing (IMG/SPRO).
- Assign commodity codes using Master Data Governance for Material (MDG-M).
- Classify a product via Product Master anymore.
- Commodity codes are not written to table T604 and T604T.
- T604 – Foreign Trade: Commodity Code / Import Code Number
- T604T – Foreign Trade: Commodity Code/Import Code No. Description
- Classifications are not stored to table MARC anymore.
- Transaction Code VIU4 – Upload of Import Codes
- Assignment of Commodity Code in Material Master
- MM01 / MM02 for Material Master
- MM41 / MM42 for Retail Article Master
- Visibility of Commodity Code Assignment in Material Master
- MM02 / MM03 for Material Master
- MM42 / MM43 for Retail Article Master
- Not displayed in Material Master Foreign Trade tab
- Assignment of Commodity Codes via IDoc
- MATMAS for Material Master
- ARTMAS for Retail Article Master
- Commodity Code of Material no longer maintainable in table MAW1
- For SAP Retail, Commodity Code was available as Basic Data.
- MAW1-WSTAW – Commodity Code/Import Code Number for Foreign Trade
- Commodity Code of Material no longer maintainable in table MARC
- Commodity Code of Material no longer managed as Plant-specific
- MARC-STAWN – Commodity Code/Import Code Number for Foreign Trade
- SAP Note 2432527 – KBA: S/4HANA – Define Commodity Codes and (re-)classify products
- SAP Note 2458080 – KBA: S/4HANA 1610 – Commodity Codes and (Re-)Classification without Fiori Apps.
- SAP Note 2642388 – KBA S4HANA: Material Master does not display commodity code after classification (S/4HANA 1809)
- SAP Note 2711719 – MM screen changes – Hide Commodity code description
- SAP Note 2782253 – KBA S/4HANA 1809 – Supplementary Unit of Measure
- SAP Note 2839197 – FAQ: Intrastat processing in S/4HANA
- SAP Note 2936305 – Commodity code field cannot be changed in Purchase Orders
Thanks for informing.
As this field also used for India Localisation for taxation (GST). Hope this was considered with this change.
Thanks for providing this information.
One question I have is, how the outbound interface would work? Is there any specific idoc that can be used to replicate table /SAPSLL/CLSNR to target systems from S/4 Hana?
Excellent blog. This is definitely something that needs to look into when migrating. I would also recommend to view the following article on SAP Blogs.