Blog it Forward – Johann Fößleitner
Who am I?
When I was 10 years old, I decided to become a software developer – and to everyone’s surprise I really did become that! During the job interview my first employer asked me: “Do you know SAP R/2?”. And I said “No”. He said: “You are hired”.
These days, I’m celebrating my 30th SAP anniversary. Unbelievable, right?
I live in Vienna, the beautiful capital of Austria and truly one of the most livable cities in the world. I can confirm that! Did you know, that the “Vienna Zoo” (Tiergarten Schönbrunn) is the oldest continuously operating zoo in the world? Founded as an imperial menagerie in 1752!
I am engaged and a father of two.
In my free time I like to go biking or hiking and I love going to live concerts. It doesn’t matter if it’s Metallica, Alice Cooper or a little unknown band.
From time to time I take my old computers (Philips Videopac; Commodore 16/64/128) out of the basement and play the good old games. I love these funny old games.
I help organize the SAP Inside Track Vienna and the SAP Stammtisch Wien. I regularly organize SAP Code Jams or other SAP Community Events and sometimes I do German webinars about the exciting world of SAP and ABAP.
|Together with Andreas in Barcelona||Don’t forget #ABAPsNotDead|
|Mountain biking in Whistler||With Ingo starting a SAP CodeJam|
1. What do you enjoy most in your work and why?
Sometimes I feel like an artist. If you create a new application, you can bring a lot of your own ideas into the final solution. I enjoy working on a perfect, well designed user interface. And at the end, if the work is done, I (usually) feel very comfortable.
And I like to learn something new. If you want to be successful in the IT Industry, you have to improve yourself regularly. I love to educate myself; I love to get to know new topics.
2. Which 5 things do you absolutely want to achieve in life?
I think you always have to have new goals in life. My list is always expanding and I have many more items on my list, but here are 5 of them!
- Become a software developer -> Done!
- Stand on the Empire State Building -> Done!
- Become a father -> Done! (Twice! 😉 )
- Travel to Alaska -> Pending!
- Write a book -> Pending!
3. Recommend resources of information that helped you in your work
Of course I use a lot more resources. Let me just mention a few very important ones:
- SAP Community – https://developers.sap.com/
- Open SAP – https://open.sap.com/
- SAP Press Books – https://www.sap-press.com/
- SAP Developer Live Streams / Videos – https://www.youtube.com/user/sapdevs/videos
- Twitter Accounts – Check out my “I follow” list on twitter
- And of course my phone to call my colleagues and friends.
A few months earlier we had a (german) webinar about this topic. Check out this blog for more details.
I would really like to know more about you guys:
- Christian Punz – Can you surprise me with something new?
- Ludwig Stockbauer-Muhr – Your ADT extensions are awesome!
- Andreas Gautsch – Hopefully we can meet again in Barcelona next year!