Why the Siemens SAP Partnership is a win for SAP Manufacturing customers?
On July 14, 2020 SAP SE and SIEMENS AG announced a strategic partnership in the area of industrial Transformation.
These two industry leaders combine their expertise in product lifecycle, supply chain and asset management to deliver unprecedented new innovations and business models that remove silos and accelerate industrial transformation.
The partnership is meant to provide faster product time to value, methods to design with real-time supply chain information, create a sustainable product development process and deliver an end-to-end digital thread throughout the product lifecycle.
But what does this mean for SAP Manufacturing customers?
Leveraging Siemens TeamCenter as the product data management solution means that customers (specifically in discreate manufacturing industries) will have access to more information feeding into S/4 HANA. Not only will they have the eBOM (Engineering Bill of Material) , material and documents information about a product to hand over to manufacturing in the production order, but you will now be able to share product tasks and variant rules to provide specific instructions at the order level.
Why is this important?
In highly engineered and complex manufacturing environments, where engineering changes are common, and multi-level BOMS are the norm providing the right level of information in the handover from engineering to manufacturing, and creation of a digital twin is critical.
A digital twin is a digital representation of a physical thing or product. The reality is that the digital twin is conceived in engineering (as designed) but delivered in manufacturing (as manufactured) for every individual product produced. The more details you can share in the handover from the engineering process, the more granular data can be captured about how the product was manufactured as we create a digital thread that will stay with it throughout the individual products lifecycle.
S/4HANA Manufacturing for Production Engineering and Operations ensures that:
- Version-managed BOMs are tracked to ensure a consistent model of a product’s components that can be used in production execution and that cannot be changed.
- A predefined process supports production engineers to convert engineering BOMs created by product engineers into manufacturing BOMs that are suitable for production execution. The process tracks which manufacturing BOM item relates to which engineering BOM item and which manufacturing BOM version relates to which engineering BOM version.
- Version-managed shop floor routings where every routing version has its own release status. Released routing versions can be used in production execution and cannot be changed.
- Every routing operation can have one or multiple operation activities. Operation activities enable you to define detailed work instructions for production operators without making scheduling and costing on operation level more complicated. You can also assign qualifications and buyoffs to operation activities.
- HTML work instructions are available on the shop floor that can include hyperlinks, pictures and standard texts.
Improving both the process and data available in the hand over to manufacturing enables SAP Manufacturing customers to streamline engineering through the digital collaboration of manufacturing master data, design structures handovers, process planning, and intelligent change management. You can simplify manufacturing build package creation, management, and delivery throughout global production environments
With this enhanced operations management allows you to analyze change impact and support change implementation, perform system-optimized monitoring of all shop floor operations with automatic issue detection, root cause analysis, and decision support, and automate monitoring and product data collection for root cause analysis and tracking, tracing, and genealogy.