Extract Data from SAP S/4HANA Cloud and Integrate Data to Target systems
As cloud operations gain prominence, organizations across all industries need a way to integrate business processes and bring in innovation such as Analytics by leveraging data across multiple applications to drive better planning and decision-making and turn their insights into actions.
Our job is to help accelerate our Customer’s journey to become an Intelligent Enterprise and achieve their overall business objectives and mission by harnessing the data from their SAP S/4HANA environment and assist in building bridges between their Enterprise Applications in order to lower the total cost of ownership and deployment.
There are various scenarios where data must be provisioned by SAP S/4HANA systems, e.g. cross-system reporting. In the context of the virtual data model (VDM) CDS views can be used for data extraction. The advantage of this approach is that the extracted data are based on the same semantic layer as analytical and transactional applications and provide high quality and consistency.
Supported communication protocols for data extraction are RFC/SOAP & OData so that SAP BW, SAP CP, SAP Data Intelligence, or third-party systems can extract data.
An overview of different scenarios is mentioned and depicted below:
- SOAP/RFC – SAP BW uses SOAP services (wrapper around the classic ODP RFCs) to retrieve the data from the SAP S/4HANA backend. Supported for SAP BW and all other clients which support RFC/SOAP e.g., Data Services, SDI.
- CDI (Cloud Data Integration) – OData-based specification/protocol for data integration. Provides an admin service to get all available data sources (CDS extraction views) and an OData service for each of these views. The OData service support packaging and delta handling (if the view is enabled for delta extraction). Supported for SAP Data Intelligence, SAP Analytics Cloud and SAP Data Warehouse Cloud.
- ABAP Pipeline/WebRFC – the ABAP pipeline is part of the SAP S/4HANA cloud system and allows integration from SAP Data Intelligence via FlowAgent. WebRFC is used as protocol to access the SAP S/4HANA Cloud system. Supported for SAP Data Intelligence.
|RFC/SOAP||Cloud Data Integration||ABAP Pipeline|
|SAP S/4HANA CE||CE 1905||CE 2002||CE 2002|
|Consumers||BW||SAP Data Intelligence||SAP Data Intelligence|
|Communication Arrangement||Creating Communication Arrangement in SAP S/4HANA Cloud|
Business Use Case
- Analyse relevant database content of transactional and master data for any business process
- Analyse the different activities/steps of a business process
How to identify the CDS view data extractors in SAP S/4HANA Cloud?
1.SAP Business Warehouse Integration
Extracting and integrating data from SAP S/4HANA Cloud to SAP BW is described in below blog and best practice explorer.
Scope Item in Best Practice Explorer: Core Data Services-Based Extraction with SAP S/4HANA Cloud
How-to Guide – How to use ABAP CDS for Data Provisioning in BW
Blog – CDS View Data Extraction
SAP Data Intelligence – Launchpad/Landing Page
- Connection Management
- Setup connections with SAP S/4HANA Cloud, SAP HANA, SAP S/4HANA onPrem and 3rd party systems
- Model the graph/pipeline using the standard SAP operators and 3rd party operators
- System Management
- Manage applications, Create/Maintain users, Manage files and so on
The above mentioned data integration options can be used to extract the data from SAP S/4HANA Cloud using the CDS view data extractors and use the respective communication scenario to integrate the data from SAP S/4HANA Cloud to different target systems and 3rd party systems.