We always have been focused on helping and engaging with developers (or anyone who codes and gets things to work!). So, it is very important to continue to learn and understand how you use our products and tools, determine what you are working on, and how we can support you better. Also, the market is constantly evolving and so are your career goals and the need for building new skills.
This year, for the first time, we conducted the Developer Insights Survey. Thanks to all of you who helped us in completing the survey. In return, as promised, we want to make the information public and share it with the Community.
Working with the survey data, we looked at developers’ geographical locations, age ranges, job roles and career goals, as well as level of influence and impact on decisions inside their companies. You told us about the tools and technologies you use most often, which type of projects you’re working on, which coding skills you want to acquire, and how you prefer to learn (tutorials and trials…no surprise!).
In a nutshell, what exactly did we learn? Here are the high-level takeaways:
- 71% have built integrations or extensions for an SAP ERP system or digital core system in the past twelve months
- 44% develop in the cloud and use some kind of cloud platform at this time
- 42% already using SAP Cloud Platform and 38% are planning to in the near future
- 39% work for larger companies (5,000+ employees)
- 36% have a direct influence on buying decisions, including the definition of specifications
- 64% have been members of the Community for over 5 years
- On average, you told us that you have 6+ years of experience in SAP-related development projects
- You also said you prefer to learn new skills using developer-focused community websites and forums (47%), and through online tutorials, how-to videos, or webinars (46%)
So, what’s next? First, based on the survey results, we’ll continue expanding the in-depth educational resources that we have on the SAP Developer Center and Community, as well as hosting virtual events to help developers build their skills. Second, we hope that you will share what you’ve learned, engage with others on the Community, and tell us what you need in the future to be successful in your day-to-day work. To learn more, checkout the full survey and give us your thoughts!
The final report is based on a survey of 3,084 respondents from 86 countries. The survey ran between November 18, 2019 and January 15, 2020. To reach as many developers as possible, the survey was promoted on the SAP Community website (community.sap.com) and the SAP Developer Center (developers.sap.com), our social media channels, and our newsletters.