SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment – Release 2008
In my last blog post about ABAP Environment release 2005 I emphasized how long the list of new features actually was. What shall I say, this time we were able to deliver even twice as many new items! So, it might be especially important for this release to have a condensed overview available.
As always, for a list of all new features with respective details, please refer to our official release notes page.
SAP Business Application Studio Support
Instead of SAP WebIDE, Business Application Studio can now be used to develop and deploy custom SAP Fiori UIs. Furthermore, Business Application Studio introduces a new deployment option: You can now deploy your Fiori UIs to the ABAP Environment and make use of the ABAP transport approach. You can also deploy the respective tiles into the Fiori Launchpad of your ABAP Environment system. More information can be found in the documentation as well as in the tutorial.
- Enablement of all SY-fields from ABAP on-premise versions to increase compatibility
- Support for ABAP Authority Check Test Helper API to configure user authorizations, set combination of expectation and get log summary of AUTHORITY-CHECK statements (details)
- Release of generic domains CHARnn and TEXTnn to simplify custom code transformation from on-premise to ABAP Environment
ABAP Development Tools
- Support for BAdI Enhancement Implementations and BAdI Enhancement Spots using the respective editors (details)
- New editor to maintain Number Range Objects
- Support for adding interfaces in the class creation wizard (details)
- Support for using knowledge transfer documents for data definitions, service definitions and service bindings (details for data definition/service definition and service binding)
- Support for the Element Info popup to display additional info for CDS objects and to navigate from main annotations to the element information of subannotations (details)
- Support for creating CDS objects with references to other objects (details)
- Support for using wildcards (e.g. asterisk) in code completion to limit the list of relevant entries if their qualified name is unknown (details)
- Support for visual indicator in the Problems View that indicates existing long texts for messages (details)
ABAP RESTful Programming Model
- Support for draft-enabled business objects (details)
- Enablement of stricter ABAP runtime checks to increase consistency, user-friendliness and compatibility for future RAP features (details)
- Support of draft in the ABAP Flight Reference Scenario that is downloadable from GitHub (details)
- Support for creation of new CDS View Entities with improved functionalities such as performance at activation (details)
- Support for CDS View Entities and Projection Views by the CDS Test Double Framework (details for CDS and SQL Test Double Framework)
- Support for definition of total ETag fields that allow controlling of concurrent access to active data in draft business objects (details)
- Support for definition of determinations and validations with standard operation triggers (CRUD) in combination with field triggers (details for validations and determinations)
- Support for new determine actions that enable execution of determinations and validations without fulfilling trigger conditions (details)
- Support for prechecking modify operations before illegal changes reach the application buffer (details)
- Support for mandatory:create to ensure that fields are filled in during create operations and readonly:update to ensure that a value is not changed during modify operations (details)
- General availability of the XCO Library (formerly via feature request only, see details)
- Support for the Application Log Design Time API to create, change or delete application log objects (details)
- Support for the Application Log Runtime API to create and read application logs (details)
- Support for maintaining currency exchange rates for currency conversion via class CL_EXCHANGE_RATES (details)
- Support for maintaining customer-owned units and dimensions via classes CL_UOM_MAINTENANCE and CL_UOM_DIM_MAINTENANCE (details)
- Support for API to read deployment attributes such as SYSTEM_DESCRIPTION and IS_DEVELOPMENT_ALLOWED
- Support for additional display languages in the administrator’s Fiori Launchpad
- Enablement of new ABAP Test Cockpit Configurator app to e.g. assign check variants, set default configurations and change priorities (details)
- Enablement of new and updated monitoring screens in Technical Monitoring Cockpit to analyze SAP HANA and AS ABAP (details)
- Enablement of new app to display connectivity traces (details)
- Enablement of new app to manage Number Range Intervals (details)
- Support for new object types for abapGit imports and exports such as authorization check field and authorization object (for full list see details)
- Support for selection of branches for initial import and a list of commits in the Manage Software Components app (details)
- Support for transport of Number Range Intervals from development to production (details)
- Support for protection of transport requests in the Transport Organizer (details)
- Support for changing the task type of a task that is added under a transport request in the Transport Organizer (details)
- Support for consumption of SOAP-based web services from on-premise (details)
- Support for consumption of remote-enabled function modules via Web Socket RFC from on-premise
- Support for calling remote-enabled function modules defined in the ABAP Environmnent (inbound RFC)
- Support for sending emails using SMTP via SAP Cloud Connector (details)
New tutorials available
We have expanded our catalogue of available tutorials to provide even more guidance on how to use ABAP environment:
Run SAP Fiori Application with SAP Business Application Studio
That’s it! Whenever you have questions, please feel free to post them as comment under this blog post.
Stay healthy and take care!
What is meant by "Enablement of read-only SY-fields from ABAP on-premise versions to increase compatibility"? Does it mean that all SY-fields will be read-only in the future?
thanks for the question and sorry for the confusion. All SY-fields are now supported. Usage of SY-fields which are not recommended in ABAP Environment lead to a warning in the ABAP syntax check. The intended restriction, that the actual value of a SY-field cannot be overwritten in ABAP environment, remains unchanged.
I have corrected the item respectively.
Thanks and best regards,
Long list to go trough. Is there a list what is available with onprem and with what release… some are for sure again not downportable<—is this a word??
sorry for the delayed response due to holiday season. Currently, there is no direct comparison available, but maybe the release notes page for ABAP Platform on-premise does help to some extent 🙂 We also have a section for RAP on-premise on the SAP help pages here, although it refers to the initial release with 1909 only. This will be further expanded with the next releases.