After months of hard work, we’re proud to present the latest member of our CI/CD family: SAP Cloud Platform Continuous Integration and Delivery.
Our new service on SAP Cloud Platform lets you configure and run predefined CI/CD pipelines. It connects with your GitHub.com repository and tests, builds, and deploys your code changes. In its user interface, you can monitor the status of your builds and view their detailed logs. By detecting errors as quickly as possible, our Continuous Integration & Delivery service helps you prevent integration problems before completing your development.
At the moment, SAP Cloud Platform Continuous Integration and Delivery offers three predefined pipelines for different use cases:
- sap-cloud-sdk – Configure a CI/CD pipeline for the development of applications that follow the SAP Cloud Application Programming Model in the Cloud Foundry environment.
- sap-ui5-cf – Configure a CI/CD pipeline for the development of SAPUI5/SAP Fiori applications in the Cloud Foundry environment.
- sap-ui5-neo – Configure a CI/CD pipeline for the development of SAPUI5/SAP Fiori applications in the Neo environment.
And there’s a lot more to come!
You can configure your pipelines either directly in the user interface of our service (sap-ui5-cf and sap-ui5-neo) or in your source repository on GitHub.com (all three pipelines). Here’s an overview of the stages your pipelines can comprise depending on your configuration:
- Init – The project “Piper” and Cloud SDK pipeline libraries are initialized, the environment is set up, the infrastructure-related configuration is loaded, and the sources are cloned. This stage is mandatory and executed with every build.
- Build and Test – The cloned sources are built, and the resulting artifacts are tested through unit tests. This stage is mandatory and executed with every build.
- Local Tests – The local tests you’ve configured are executed.
- Production Deployment – A productive branch of your project is deployed to the target(s) you have defined.
sap-ui5-cf and sap-ui5-neo:
- Init – The sources are cloned from GitHub and the environment is set up. This stage is mandatory and executed with every build.
- Test – The tests you’ve configured are executed.
- Build – Your application is packaged into a deployable archive. This stage is mandatory and executed with every build.
- Malware Scan – Your project files are scanned for malware and viruses.
- Deploy – Your application is deployed to the defined deploy target(s).
- Upload to Transport Management Service – For a staged development landscape, the archive is uploaded to SAP Cloud Platform Transport Management.
With SAP Cloud Platform Continuous Integration and Delivery, we now have three different CI/CD solutions that differ in their level of flexibility and expertise required for setup and configuration:
- SAP Cloud Platform Continuous Integration and Delivery – The CI/CD service is our offering that needs the least expertise in continuous integration and delivery: You can use our predefined pipelines without having to worry about the underlying infrastructure.
- Project “Piper” – Project “Piper” offers a little bit more flexibility. It’s an open-source project that provides preconfigured Jenkins pipelines, which you can use in your own Jenkins master infrastructure and adapt according to your needs, if necessary. It consists of a shared library, which contains the description of steps, scenarios, and utilities required to use Jenkins pipelines, and a set of Docker images that can be used to implement best practice processes.
- Continuous Integration and Delivery Best Practices Guide – The CI/CD Best Practices Guide is our offering that requires the highest level of expertise but, in return, offers the highest level of flexibility. It provides simple procedures to implement continuous delivery pipelines on any CI/CD stack and demonstrates how to apply the principles of CI/CD to SAP-specific technologies.
For an overview of all solutions we offer for continuous integration and delivery, see SAP Solutions for Continuous Integration and Delivery.
Have you found your ideal CI/CD solution by SAP, yet? Tell us what you think!