Infoporter- A Data Migration tool
Infoporter- A Data Migration tool
Migrating data to SuccessFactors Employee Central from a legacy Human Capital Management (HCM) system is a crucial and critical aspect of the upgrade — usually a difficult and time-consuming one. When you are migrating data to Employee Central from the SAP HCM module, it is important to understand what options are available, as well as the tools which will reduce the time, effort and complexity of the data migration activities.
Options available to SAP ERP HCM users who wish to migrate their data to Employee Central.
- Third-party tools, which are available from many vendors which include SAP Advanced Data Migration from BackOffice Associates and Accenture Data Comparison Manager.
- Manual data migration, which can be building custom programs to extract data, performing a dump directly from the database or using SAP’s Legacy System Migration Workbench. However, all of these options require a lot of effort, and none are recommended when there are standard tools available.
- Infoporter is SAP’s standard one for migrating data from the SAP HCM module to Employee Central. Report ECPAO_EMPL_EXTRACTION (called SAP Infoporter tool). is provided as part of the integration add-on for SAP ERP and Employee Central and comprise of the same configuration framework as the integration to ensure data consistency when migrated data is integrated back to SAP ERP after go-live. The value of Infoporter is that it is designed to map and transform data into the Employee Central format and either export the data as comma-separated values files to upload to Employee Central or replicate the data directly into Employee Central using either the SAP Cloud Platform Integration or Dell Boomi AtomSphere Middleware.
PA_SE_IN was originally called as Infoporter which is configured using BIB. Infoporter is SAP’s standard tool for migrating data from SAP HCM module to SuccessFactors Employee Central. It is deployed as part of the integration add-on for SAP ERP and SuccessFactors Employee Central. SAP Infoporter is the most recommend tool used for migrating from SAP HCM to Employee Central and replicating Employee Central changes back to SAP HCM. This comes along with Employee Central license agreement and no separate license required for this
Infoporter can be used to migrate Organizational Data or Employee Data using CSV files or Web Services.
Infoporter CSV needs to be manually loaded and Infoporter web services will be automatically loaded, While Infoporter CSV can be used only for Migration whereas Infoporter Web services can be used for both Migration and Replication.
Selection Criteria: Where the employees can be extracted based on various selection parameters Personnel Number, Action Type viz. Hiring, Termination etc. whichever we wish to send to Employee Central from SAP and Personnel Area, Personnel Sub Area, Employee Group and Employee Sub Group.
Extraction Template: It will be the Template Group created for Replication.
Communication Channels: We can transmit through a Web service mode or file transfer.
Message Log for tracking the records.
Other Selection Criteria for Failed employees only.
Infoporter can be used in all these scenarios Side-by Side, Core Hybrid and Full Cloud
Infoporter maps and converts data for usage in SuccessFactors Employee Central and has the ability to export the data as comma-separated values files or can directly replicate the data into SuccessFactors Employee Central. On some documentation the configuration is also called the DMT (Data Migration Tool).
Infoporter is a configuration-oriented tool to reduce customizing and maintenance efforts for all customers. It has the capability for code implementation to cover complex business cases.
Since this is an SAP standard tool, you’ll also enjoy all the benefits like free updates, new features, and bug fixes, without having to maintain a costly custom codebase.
Since Infoporter is an SAP standard tool it has built in logic for many HR processes such as global assignment, hire, retire, and termination.
No need for Additional License
Infoporter is part of an Employee Central license agreement. It is freely available for you to use and does not require a separate license.
Advantages of Using Infoporter Tool
Take a look at on the advantages of using the Infoporter tool.
Being an on-premise customer, you first need to migrate the existing employee master data and organizational data from SAP ERP HCM to SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central.
It is strongly recommended to use standard SAP Infoporter tool for the migration in order to avoid any errors while replicating back the employee master data to ERP. Here are some of the advantages of using the SAP Infoporter tool.
- When an employee is replicated from EC, a new personnel number may get generated in ERP even though the employee is already existing. Instead of replicating data to the existing PERNR in ERP, the employee master data then gets replicated to this new PERNR.
Usage of Infoporter for migration ensures that the existing PERNR is reused during replication since the employee key mapping table will be updated during migration.
- Sending historical data before the earliest transfer date (this can be dummy data) during migration via the Infoporter tool is possible with the Additional events configuration. This ensures that the hire date of the employee in EC is correct and also migration of terminated/withdrawn employees becomes possible.
If the standard Infoporter tool with additional event records are not used, then there is a high risk that some infotype data before FTSD gets overwritten during replication. The customer should create a split and pass real data from the earliest transfer date on wards during migration which is possible to configure in additional event records. Since employee data in EC after earliest transfer will be real, data in ERP before FTSD (Full Transmission Start Date) will not be overwritten by dummy data sent in the additional event record before the earliest transfer date.