How to create and work with Popups in Desktop Studio
SAP’s Intelligent Robotic Process Automation (iRPA) helps automate menial tasks to allow people to work on more complex tasks. These bots can be either be in attended or unattended mode, allowing for human intervention when needed. One of the features of the desktop studio for Intelligent Robotic Process Automation is the use of popups. There are the ideal feature for human intervention in bots that is simple, straightforward, and easily integratable into any bots created.
There are many ways to build and use the popups in desktop studio. Here is a short guide to get you started on building and using your own popups. These are all steps and screenshots I did on my own local machine so you can do it too!
Creating a Popup
- Navigate to the UI Disigner tab on the right of Desktop studio. Right click under the UI Designer tab to create a new popup.
- After creating your popup, you can add in tons of different elements to your bot that users can interact with.To start, we need to insert a container that will hold all future elements in the popup. The container can be found under the “insert grid” section.
- After inserting several elements, it is important to check to ensure that they have been properly inserted and to build the popup.Here, the number1 element has been correctly inserted. It is seen under the UI Designer tab as well as in the designer to the right. If an element has been incorrectly inserted, it will appear on the designer to the right but not under the UI Designer tab as shown above. To fix this, simply rebuild the bot and try inserting the element again.
- Not only can you insert elements but you can also customize them.By selecting an element on the UI Designer and selecting the ‘properties’ button on the bottom right of the screen, a list of properties for that element will appear. These properties can be changed to change the look and functionality of the element selected.
- Once you have finished inserting all the necessary elements, it is time to capture the popup so it can be used by your bot.To capture the popup, simply click on the camera icon above the popup designer display.
You have now created a popup that can be used in your bot!
Using Your Popup In a Workflow
After creating a popup and capturing it, it can be implemented in your bots workflow.
- After you capture the popup, it is available to be placed into a workflow to be used.To add it to a workflow, you simply drag and drop as you would with any other type of capture.
- Once you have added your popup to the workflow, you can give the bot commands and steps to follow. To do this, double-click on the popup in the workflow to open it up in detail.From this window, you can add in specific steps. For this example, I have the bot waiting for the user to click on the submit button. After the user clicks on the button I have the bot “get”ing the data in the number element. This means we can later access the information placed into this element.
- Here is a complete (simple) workflow using a popup After we open the popup and have it wait for the submit button to be pressed, it will close the popup after this process. Once the popup is closed, a message box will be displayed, telling the user the information that was input into the popup.
- To get the data to output in the message box, we need to get it from when we called the “get” process in the popup.Here is where the data is saved after we call the “get” from the popup.We can use ‘rootData.POPUPSData.exampleData.number1’ to access the information put into the number element.
You can now use your popup to get user input and access that input with your bot.
If you would like to learn more about using Intelligent Robotic Process Automation, here are some resources that you can use to practice and learn more! Feel free to also comment what kind of popups you have created!
Getting Started with the Desktop Studio: https://help.sap.com/viewer/515fae5c9d04482d98c8fa9138975328/Cloud/en-US/eb62a00fd911425cb9bfc450d0c597b4.html
SAP Intelligent RPA Cloud Studio User Guide: https://help.sap.com/viewer/8e71b41b9ea043c8bccee01a10d6ba72/Cloud/en-US/bc166e94f80f443f889cccfcc9e5b3fa.html