Migrating Your Mobile Development Kit (MDK) Apps from SAP Web IDE to SAP Business Application Studio
Last Updated on 15 August 2022 with latest changes
You might have already seen the announcement that you can now create and modify your Mobile Development kit (MDK) apps in SAP Business Application Studio (BAS).
SAP Business Application Studio is a next generation, tailor made development environment available as a service on SAP Cloud Foundry which offers a modular development for business application for SAP Intelligent Enterprise. If you have not started looking into it, It’s time to try out.
This post describes how to migrate Mobile Development kit (MDK) app from SAP Web IDE Full-Stack to BAS, and then how to continue enhancing it further.
- Export Your Project From SAP Web IDE
- Import Your Project in SAP Business Application Studio
- Continue Working in SAP Business Application Studio
Export Your Project From SAP Web IDE
From the SAP Web IDE, you can export your project either by pushing it to Git or downloading locally on your machine using Export option.
Import Your Project in SAP Business Application Studio
Follow this link to create a dev space for your MDK development, if not done before.
- If you pushed your project to Git, perform one of the following to git clone your project:
- click Clone from Git in the Welcome page (if you don’t see Welcome page, navigate to Help menu>Welcome), provide repository URL and finish cloning.
- In the Terminal menu, choose New Terminal, and use the command git clone followed by the repository URL to initiate cloning.Once cloning is finished, in the File menu, choose Open Workspace, and select your cloned project as the root of your workspace.
- If you exported your project:
- click Import in the Welcome page and choose the exported .zip file.
Continue Working in SAP Business Application Studio
After importing the application in SAP Business Application Studio, you can continue your work in dev space as below:
- You can continue connecting to the app configurations from your Mobile Services Neo landscape.
- You can deploy your project to Mobile Services Neo landscape.
For more information, see Deploying the Project
- If you want to deploy your project to Mobile Services Cloud Foundry landscape, make sure to first migrate the server side app configuration from Mobile Services Neo environment to Mobile Services Cloud Foundry environment as explained below:
- If you did setup cloud connector in Mobile Services Neo subaccount to connect to your data sources, you need to do similar setup in Mobile Services Cloud Foundry subaccount.
- If you had created the app configuration in Mobile Services (Neo), you need to migrate those configurations to Mobile Services Cloud Foundry subaccount.
- export the config from app details page in Mobile Services cockpit (Neo)
- import the downloaded zip file in Mobile Services on Cloud Foundry subaccount (Mobile Applications > Native/MDK).
- And now, you can continue with deploying the project.
Reset/rebuild your MDK client and re-onboard the app
This step is required only when you are migrating your Mobile Services app configuration from Neo to Cloud Foundry environment.
- If you branded your connection settings into the MDK client using MDK SDK or cloud build service, you would need to re-create the client. Please follow below tutorials:
- If you are using public store client (SAP Mobile Services client) or a more generic client that allows the user to scan a QR code to set the connection settings.
- Reset your client by clicking Logout option in your app if it is present or uninstall and re-install the client
- In BAS, right click Application.app > Open With MDK Application Editor > click Application QR code to populate the new QR code for app on-boarding
- Scan the new QR code from MDK client to onboard the app and pickup the application definitions that you deployed from BAS to Mobile Services.
I hope this guide was helpful for you in migrating MDK projects from SAP Web IDE to SAP Business Application Studio. You can now continue with your development and enhance your MDK app.
New to MDK development?
- Follow these tutorials to learn more about Mobile development kit