Migrating Your Mobile Development Kit (MDK) Apps from SAP Web IDE to SAP Business Application Studio
Updated 04 May 2021: Some screenshots changed due to updates in BAS.
You might have already seen the announcement that you can now create and modify your Mobile Development kit (MDK) apps in SAP Business Application Studio (BAS).
SAP Business Application Studio is a next generation, tailor made development environment available as a service on SAP Cloud Foundry which offers a modular development for business application for SAP Intelligent Enterprise. If you have not started looking into it, It’s time to try out.
This post describes how to migrate Mobile Development kit (MDK) app from SAP Web IDE Full-Stack to BAS, and then how to continue enhancing it further.
1.If you did setup cloud connector in NEO subaccount to connect to your data sources, you need to do similar setup in Cloud Foundry subaccount.
2. If you created the app configuration in Mobile Services (NEO), you need to first migrate those configuration to Cloud Foundry subaccount
- export the config from app details page in Mobile Services cockpit (NEO)
- import the downloaded zip file in Mobile Services on Cloud Foundry subaccount (Mobile Applications > Native/Hybrid).
3. In SAP Web IDE, right-click MDK Project > Export or push your application to Git.
Create your SAP Mobile Services Dev space
- Follow this tutorial
Import your MDK project
- If you pushed your application to Git:
- Clone your repository using git clone from the terminal or from the command palette.
- Open a new workspace and select your cloned project as the root of your workspace.
- OR If you exported your project:
- Click Import on Welcome page (if you dont see Welcome page, navigate to Help menu>Welcome) and point to .zip file.
Deploy your app
- Set your Cloud Foundry Organization and space by navigating to View menu > Find Command> CF: Login to Cloud foundry
- Right click Application.app file > MDK:Deploy
Select your cloud foundry org/space and the app id (imported in Mobile Services CF cockpit)
You should see Deploy to Mobile Services successfully! message.
Reset/rebuild your MDK client and re-onboard the app
- If you branded your connection settings into the MDK client using MDK SDK or cloud build service, you would need to re-create the client. Please follow below tutorials:
- If you are using public store client (SAP Mobile Services client) or a more generic client that allows the user to scan a QR code to set the connection settings.
- Reset your client by clicking Logout option in your app if it is present or uninstall and re-install the client
- In BAS, right click Application.app > Open With MDK Application Editor > click Application QR code to populate the new QR code for app on-boarding
- Scan the new QR code from MDK client to onboard the app and pickup the application definitions that you deployed from BAS to Mobile Services.
I hope this guide was helpful for you in migrating MDK projects from SAP Web IDE to SAP Business Application Studio. You can now continue with your development and enhance your MDK app.
New to MDK development?
- Follow these tutorials to learn more about Mobile development kit
- Create your Mobile Development Kit (MDK) app in SAP Business Application Studio
- What”s new in Mobile development kit client
- MDK documentation: