SAP MaxDB Content Server Migration with Minimized Downtime for Large Size DB
This blog describes the SAP MaxDB Content Server Migration Method which reduces downtime for large database during migration using online backup and restore method.
This blog can be used as reference for performing SAP Content Server MaxDB Migration of large databases between different release of Windows Server.
Blog provides step by step procedure to perform migration of SAP MaxDB Content Server from windows server 2008 to Windows server 2012 using online backup/restore method by creating a standby database.It is focusing on a method to reduce downtime during MaxDB Content Server migration of large database. This is needed for systems which are highly critical to get downtime for migration purpose from customer.
- MaxDB version: 7.8.02.41
- Server: Windows Server 2008.
- MaxDB version : 7.9.08.23
- Server: Windows Server 2012
Migration Method: Online Backup/Restore
Backup Tool: Networker
DB Size:11 TB
- Install MaxDB Content Server Instance in Target server (Windows server 2012).
- Configure IIS on target Server.
- Full online backup of the source system.
Installation of MaxDB Content Server Instance:
Perform the installation of SAP MaxDB Content Server instance on target server (Windows Server 2012) using SWPM.
CREATE BACKUP TEMPLATE for COMPLETE DATA,INCREMENTAL, LOG backup type as like SOURCE SYSTEM in TARGET:
- Bring target DB to admin mode and trigger restore of full online backup of source system into target DB.
- After completion of full backup restore, trigger restore of next incremental backups of source system into target DB by keeping it in admin mode.
- Prepare target DB by applying all the incremental backups of source system until we enter into downtime of source system.
- Bring Source DB to offline state and take log backup of source system.
- Apply log backup taken in offline state of source system to target DB.
- After applying all the incremental and log backups, change the state of target Db from admin mode to online.
Caution: Don’t bring target DB online until we restore all the backups needed for migration.
Step by Step migration screenshot:
- Login into Target DB and bring it to admin mode:
- Trigger restore of full online backup of source DB into target DB.
- After completion of complete data backup restore, apply incremental data backup restore into target DB by keeping it in admin mode.
- After applying all the incremental backups into target DB, apply the recent log backups into target DB by keeping it in admin mode.
- After applying online log backups, bring source db to offline and take offline log backup .
- Restore final offline log backup into target db and bring the target DB to online.
POST MIGRATION STEPS:
- Configure IIS to connect content server repository to new server.
- Configure OAC0 by changing the server name to point newly built server and perform rshttp checks .
- Take complete data backup of the target system.
Now we have performed SAP MaxDB Content Server Migration from Windows server 2008 to Windows server 2012 with minimized downtime. Downtime needed for migrating 11TB database is only 30 Mins . After migration, we need to perform changes in tcode OAC0 for connecting the content server repository to new server and perform post migration checks.
Thanks a million for this information it really works, you should to add something which is the initialization of the target db before the recovery process overall it was really smooth and the end users didn't even notice the background tasks.