Data upload has been greatly simplified in S4 Hana by the introduction of the SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit. This tool can be accessed via the Transaction code LTMC
This tool offers several advantages over the LSMW tool available in earlier version. I recently used in a Greenfield SAP implementation.
Few advantages of the tool over LSMW-
- Standardized template and interface : There is no longer a need to create source structures, target structures and mappings. This is already done by SAP for almost all the migration objects.
- No screen recordings – Screen recordings are no longer necessary. LTMC works similar to the “Standard Batch / Direct input” option available in LSMW
- User friendly templates: Ready made excel templates are available (there are other options as well like “Transfer Data from staging tables, but file transfer is usually sufficient in small and medium projects)
- The templates contain detailed instructions on how to fill them up.
- Filled – in Templates can be uploaded through a simple interface
- Error messages are displayed and can be corrected
- In case of partial upload, delta files are created and only the erroneous records can be corrected and re-uploaded
In the Finance Area, the LTMC cockpit can be used for, inter-alia, the following objects:
- GL Accounts Master Data – at the level of Chart of Accounts and one or more Company codes. I have explained with an example below
- Cost centers / Profit Centers: You can create cost and Profit center master data using LTMC, I have explained using the video below
- Business Partner: Vendors and Customers are all created now as Business Partners, so this template has a lot of information spanning Finance and Logistics (Sales Organization, Purchasing Organization etc). The Business Partner is probably one of the more complicated objects in data load (the other one being Material Master)
- Accounts receivable and Accounts payable : For AR and AP open items, you need to specify the open items (invoices, down payments etc) in the template
- Fixed Assets : In ECC the fixed assets sub ledger was loaded separately using LSMW, but this did not update the GL account. In S4 hana the same template updates both the Asset register and Financial Ledger. You need to specify the offsetting account in the template itself. The system updates all the values like APC , Accumulated depreciation, and (in case of current year loads) the depreciation from the last year close till the date of go-live.
- GL Open items upload : you can upload the trial balance using this template
- At the end of transaction data load, it can be said that all the offsetting accounts (AA, AR,AP and GL) will total up to zero.
Lets see how we can upload GL accounts –
The GL accounts master template has the following sheets-
Introduction – This sheet is common to all templates and gives general instructions on how to use the template
Field List – Field list gives the detailed list of fields in each sheet and their characteristics like Type and length
General data – This is the data at the level of chart of accounts
Company code data – This is the information at the company code level
Account names – These are the Account descriptions (texts)
Account keywords – additional keywords in alternative languages
Out of the above the sheets “General data” , “Company code data” and “Account names” are mandatory, meanings they must be compulsorily filled in. The last sheet is optional.
Lets go to individual sheets now –
Field list : This sheet shows which fields are present in template, their technical characteristics and whether the field is mandatory or not. For example, in General data , certain fields like Chart of Accounts and G/L account number are mandatory, while Trading partner is optional.
General data: this contains information corresponding to the Chart of Accounts level data
This is common to all company codes
Company code Data: Here you can specify the Company code level data for the same G/L account at each CoCd level
Account names : The last sheet contains Texts
This file is then uploaded. For steps to upload, please see my video for cost center below.
Second example of Cost enter Master data –
Cost enter Master data –
I have taken a simple example of a cost center upload and created a demo video here.
The SAP Help for LTMC is given here – https://help.sap.com/viewer/29193bf0ebdd4583930b2176cb993268/1909.000/en-US/8f97f0b407024465a283809f0bbe000c.html
In short the LTMC is a very powerful tool for data load for small and medium projects.
my next blog I will cover how to customize the template using LTMOM