Project knowledge Transfer (KT) is very important process in an project but somehow, we do not give enough importance to the same. An effective project KT is the foundation of successful project execution. Today in this short blog, I would like to provide few guidelines which might be useful while arranging project KT.
- In-person KT is anytime better than virtual KT – Though we advanced on virtual communication front by using different applications & tools however when it comes to KT, F2F option is the most effective option. Wherever possible arrange in-person KT & allow face to face interaction.
- Use of White Boards – Complex process must be explained on white boards by incorporating diagrams, process flows & arrows. It creates long-lasting impact on the audience. Here understanding is more important than memorizing.
- Say No to Notes – Do not allow audience to take the notes while listening to the presenters. It creates distractions. Stay focused on content. Audience lose crux while taking notes & several time presenter also do not like this.
- Don’t interrupt – Interrupting speaker every now & then is not a good idea. It will break flow of the presenter. Better take pause after every 15 minutes & ask relevant questions.
- Create recordings – Human brain have limitations, you cannot remember each & everything. Make sure you create recording for each KT sessions so that whenever you are in trouble you can always revisits the same.
- More practical & less theory – Always discuss KT topics on real time basis. Example you are discussing depot repairs process. Ask presenter what kind of incident you will receive on these topic & volume of the ticket.
- Repository – Make sure you create day wise folder in share drive. That folder should contain topic discussed on that day & summary of points discussed. These folder should contain all relevant data regarding topics discussed on that day.
- Assignments – This is mandatory step for audience. Assignments & response to those will determine level of understanding of the audience. Presenter can decide & optimize its strategy based on those responses.
- Quiz & Games – Audience engagement is mandatory. Whole purpose of project KT will go to toss if engagement level goes down. Hence to increase participation level, relevant quiz & games must be organized during KT session.
- Shadow resource – Every member of project team should leave classroom in second half & should act as shadow resource. He should join existing team member & observe him without any disturbance to understand how things goes on in real life.
- Query Tracker – Maintain query tracker for queries you could not ask within running session & record responses again each query.
- Reverse KT – Final step which will determine success of project KT. Give your best during reverse KT. If you attend all KT session with zeal & enthusiasm then reverse KT would be normal process.
I tried to make this blog simple, easy & crisp hence I have avoided unnecessary jargon. I request you to treat this as micro blog. I hope above guidelines will help you in arranging more meaningful project knowledge transition session. Make the most of project KT’s. All The Very Best.