UI5ers Buzz #55: Adaptation Project – your one stop tool for extending SAPUI5 Applications
Whether you have already been using Adaptation Project in SAP Web IDE and want some fresh features, or you are trying to find the right tool to adapt applications to customer/partner specific needs, look no further. It’s all now available at SAP`s brand new development platform – SAP Business Application Studio. By using it, you are leveraging features of UI5 Flexibility and able to adapt and extend UI5 applications without actually changing the base app, which allows seamless upgrades and lifecycle stability. Adaptation project also comes with an intuitive WYSIWYG tooling and is really fun to use and you are able to add both UI and code changes to your own variant of the application.
Except availability on the new platform, there are a couple of new features available:
- Support for extension points – The so-called extension points were previously matter of another plugin – Extension Project. Its abilities are being brought to Adaptation Project, so it becomes the unified one and only tool for extension and adaptation. This feature is also now available in SAP Web IDE and SAP Business Application Studio.
- Support of Freestyle applications – Till now, it was possible to extend only Fiori Elements-based applications, but from now on you have the ability to extend also Freestyle applications. This feature is now available in both SAP Web IDE and on SAP Business Application Studio, as well.
Let’s go over a simple use case of Adaptation Project on the new platform:
- Create adaptation project using one of the Yeoman generators available in SAP Business Application Studio. The wizard will guide you through the process and you will be asked to add the initial properties of your project – name, source system, base app, etc.
- You can start the visual editor which will enable you to both preview and edit the application. The possibilities are the same for both SAP Fiori elements-based and Freestyle applications and you can extend them in the same manner – you can adapt UIs, e.g. add/move/remove fields, rearrange sections or even embed iframes, change control properties, extend i18n texts, add custom content via XML Fragments, etc. You can extend also controllers by using the right-click option “Extend with controller”.
- It’s also possible to use extension points (if the base app has such). XML Fragments can be added using the “Add Fragment at Extension Point” option from the context menu, when right-clicked over an extension point.
From now on you can use Adaptation Project to benefit from these great capabilities.
For the complete set of features and technical details you can always refer to the official documentation pages:
Update 14.06.2021: SAPUI5 flexibility offers capabilities for developers, key users and end users to adapt SAPUI5 applications. This includes the creation of adaptation project in SAP Business Application Studio. The prerequisites are given in Create an Adaptation Project, the technical prerequisites for the respective apps are described in SAPUI5 Flexibility: Enable Your App for UI Adaptation. Very few standard apps from SAP are missing these prerequisites and SAP is working on providing these. Until then you can continue to use an extension project in SAP Web IDE, personal edition or in your productive SAP Web IDE Full-Stack.
|Hristo Tsolev is product owner in CP Extensions team and the Flexibility area. Always looking to improve the customer experience.|