I am writing this blog, to describe the steps how you upgrade the Oracle database of your SAP system to Oracle Database 19c
- Supported upgrade path to 19c?
To upgrade your database directly to Oracle Database 19c, your source database release must be Oracle 18.104.22.168, Oracle 22.214.171.124 or Oracle 126.96.36.199.
from 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 11.1, 10.2 or earlier – Direct upgrade is not supported.
- check SAP note 2800001 – Upgrading to Oracle Database 19c (DBUA)
- Check PAM to ensure that your SAP product is supported with Oracle Database 19
- Download the oracle 19c software, Opatch, SBP – SAP Bundle patch.
Installation of oracle 19c database software
First backup the oracle inventory
- Log on as Oracle software owner, for eg: oracle or ora<sid>
- Install the new Oracle database software into the <ORACLE_HOME_NEW>, for eg: /oracle/SID/19.0.0
- Set environment variables DISPLAY and DB_SID,
- then start RUNINSTALLER. For RUNINSTALLER options, check SAP Note 2660017.
OS> setenv DB_SID <DB_SID>
OS> setenv DISPLAY <DISPLAY>
oracle base usually be : /oracle/SID
Now we will have to apply SAP Bundle Patch to new installed software oracle 19.0.0
(make sure you have downloaded these 3 files from service market place)
First extract SAP19P_XXX.ZIP file and copy Mopatch folder to new oracle home location (/oracle/SID/19.0.0/)
Second update the Opatch:
extract the OPATCH19P_XXX.ZIP file to oracle home (/oracle/SID/19.0.0/)
then Fianlly apply SBP using mopatch
Oracle 19c database upgrade
- Run the pre-upgrade scripts
- Please take backup of the listener configuration files
Login with ora<sid> with 22.214.171.124 oracle home
set the env variables
stop SAP system
Check oratab entries
Post upgrade steps
After the Oracle database upgrade, you need to perform the steps described here.
1. Check oratab entries
2. Check the symbolic link for the runtime Oracle home.
3. Adapt the environment of the <sapsid>adm user (eg: oracle home, client)
4. Update the SQL*Net configuration files
5. Stop the old version listener and start the database listener of 19c
6. Start the database instance (make sure oracle home is pointing to right oracle home)
7. check the database parameters for 19c and implement recommended parameters from sap note 2470718 – Oracle Database Parameter 12.2 / 18c / 19c
8. Update the Oracle Instant Client if required
9. Update BR*Tools executables
10. Update Database Statistics
11. Backup the database
12. R3trans -d, make sure it returns 0000
Finally Start the SAP system