From Neo to Multi-Cloud: How Our Services Are Evolving
SAP has been following a “multi-cloud first” strategy for the past years already, ensuring that our SAP Cloud Platform portfolio is available on a multi-cloud foundation. In order to give our customers more regional and operational choice for their SAP Cloud Platform based extension and integration solutions, we bring our mostly used services to the Cloud Foundry environment, in which the following services are almost functionally equivalent to their offering in the Neo environment.
- SAP Cloud Platform Integration: Cloud Integration is available as part of the SAP Cloud Platform Integration Suite. For an overview on existing constraints compared to the Neo environment, see SAP Note 2752867. If you would like to migrate your CPI-PI in Neo environment to CPI-PI running in CF environment. You can find the migration accelerator guide here.
- SAP Cloud Platform Mobile Services: SAP Cloud Platform Mobile Services in the Cloud Foundry environment is largely identical to its predecessor in the Neo environment, but there might be some differences or changes that are of interest to you. You find an overview here: Migrate: SAP Cloud Platform Mobile Services Neo to Cloud Foundry
- SAP Cloud Platform Portal: A list of service restrictions in SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry environment (compared to the Neo environment) can be found in SAP Note 2902576. For the latest product roadmap, see SAP Cloud Platform Portal Roadmap
**Update:We introduce the new SAP Cloud Platform Launchpad service on SAP Cloud Platform (Cloud Foundry environment) and share first insights about this new exciting service. We encourage you to sign up the free trial of Launchpad service here.
In the light of future development focus, we evolved our product by offering new and advanced alternatives that will enable our customers to innovate further. We have new services available in the Cloud Foundry environment and you should consider them based on your individual needs.
- SAP Cloud Platform, SAP HANA Service: Since end of March 2020, SAP HANA Cloud is available as the successor of the SAP HANA service. For an overview of all SAP HANA Cloud Features, see Feature Scope Description for SAP HANA Cloud. For an overview of the differences between SAP HANA Cloud and SAP HANA Platform for SQL, SQLScript and SAP HDI (SAP HANA Deployment Infrastructure), see SAP Note 2868742 .
- SAP Web IDE: Since February 2020, SAP Business Application Studio is available in the Cloud Foundry environment. As the next generation of SAP Web IDE, the product is still evolving and we are pleased to announce the first public release of the HANA development story in SAP Business Application Studio.Please follow the developer guides below:
- SAP HANA Cloud Developer Guide for Cloud Foundry Multitarget Applications (SAP Business App Studio)
- SAP HANA Cloud Modeling Guide for SAP Business Application Studio
- Document Service & SAP Document Center: Since April 2020, SAP Cloud Platform Document Management is available in the Cloud Foundry environment and its multicloud coverage will be extended throughout the year. See also SAP Cloud Platform Document Management – A new offering on SAP Cloud Platform.
In some cases, our offerings still depend on the Neo environment. Therefore, we cannot simply move them to the Cloud Foundry environment, but you can continue consuming the functionalities, for example:
- HTML5 Runtime: You can develop HTML5 applications using the managed application router through SAP Cloud Platform Portal (see here) or using the SAP Cloud Platform Application Runtime (see here).
- Java Server: You can use the SAP JAVA buildpack for running JVM-based applications through the SAP Cloud Platform Application Runtime. Read more here.
Last but not the least, we want to take a moment to say a big thank you. Our customers and partners mean everything to us, and we hope that you continue to share our vision and join us on the multicloud journey. And we understand that migration will take some time and it will need to be done carefully, so we want to let you know that we’ll be with you every step of the way. If you plan to migrate your current application, please check out our migration guide here.
Let us know if you have any feedback.
- Developing Applications in a Multicloud Environment by Denys van Kempen
Disclaimer: All forward-looking roadmap statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of their dates, and they should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.