From Neo to Multi-Cloud: How Our Services Are Evolving
SAP has been following a “multi-cloud first” strategy for the past years already, ensuring that our SAP Cloud Platform portfolio is available on a multi-cloud foundation. In order to give our customers more regional and operational choice for their SAP Cloud Platform based extension and integration solutions, we bring our mostly used services to the Cloud Foundry environment, in which the following services are almost functionally equivalent to their offering in the Neo environment.
- SAP Cloud Platform Integration: Cloud Integration is available as part of the SAP Cloud Platform Integration Suite. For an overview on existing constraints compared to the Neo environment, see SAP Note 2752867. If you would like to migrate your CPI-PI in Neo environment to CPI-PI running in CF environment. You can find the migration accelerator guide here.
- SAP Cloud Platform Mobile Services: SAP Cloud Platform Mobile Services in the Cloud Foundry environment is largely identical to its predecessor in the Neo environment, but there might be some differences or changes that are of interest to you. You find an overview here: Migrate: SAP Cloud Platform Mobile Services Neo to Cloud Foundry
- SAP Cloud Platform Portal: A list of service restrictions in SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry environment (compared to the Neo environment) can be found in SAP Note 2902576. For the latest product roadmap, see SAP Cloud Platform Portal Roadmap
**Update:We introduce the new SAP Cloud Platform Launchpad service on SAP Cloud Platform (Cloud Foundry environment) and share first insights about this new exciting service. We encourage you to sign up the free trial of Launchpad service here.
In the light of future development focus, we evolved our product by offering new and advanced alternatives that will enable our customers to innovate further. We have new services available in the Cloud Foundry environment and you should consider them based on your individual needs.
- SAP Cloud Platform, SAP HANA Service: Since end of March 2020, SAP HANA Cloud is available as the successor of the SAP HANA service. For an overview of all SAP HANA Cloud Features, see Feature Scope Description for SAP HANA Cloud. For an overview of the differences between SAP HANA Cloud and SAP HANA Platform for SQL, SQLScript and SAP HDI (SAP HANA Deployment Infrastructure), see SAP Note 2868742 .
- SAP Web IDE: Since February 2020, SAP Business Application Studio is available in the Cloud Foundry environment. As the next generation of SAP Web IDE, the product is still evolving and we are pleased to announce the first public release of the HANA development story in SAP Business Application Studio.Please follow the developer guides below:
- SAP HANA Cloud Developer Guide for Cloud Foundry Multitarget Applications (SAP Business App Studio)
- SAP HANA Cloud Modeling Guide for SAP Business Application Studio
For an overview of all features of SAP Business Application Studio, see the blog from Keren Rotenberg and SAP Cloud Platform Discovery Center.
- Document Service & SAP Document Center: Since April 2020, SAP Cloud Platform Document Management is available in the Cloud Foundry environment and its multicloud coverage will be extended throughout the year. See also SAP Cloud Platform Document Management – A new offering on SAP Cloud Platform.
In some cases, our offerings still depend on the Neo environment. Therefore, we cannot simply move them to the Cloud Foundry environment, but you can continue consuming the functionalities, for example:
- HTML5 Runtime: You can develop HTML5 applications using the managed application router through SAP Cloud Platform Portal (see here) or using the SAP Cloud Platform Application Runtime (see here).
- Java Server: You can use the SAP JAVA buildpack for running JVM-based applications through the SAP Cloud Platform Application Runtime. Read more here.
Last but not the least, we want to take a moment to say a big thank you. Our customers and partners mean everything to us, and we hope that you continue to share our vision and join us on the multicloud journey. And we understand that migration will take some time and it will need to be done carefully, so we want to let you know that we’ll be with you every step of the way. If you plan to migrate your current application, please check out our migration guide here.
Let us know if you have any feedback.
- Developing Applications in a Multicloud Environment by Denys van Kempen
Service mapping of SAP Cloud Platform Neo and Cloud Foundry Environments by Murali Shanmugham
Migrate SAP Cloud Platform Workflow Applications to Cloud Foundry Environment by Venugopal Chembrakalathil
SAP Cloud Platform – moving forward on our multi-cloud strategy
SAP Cloud Platform Multi-Cloud Strategy FAQs
Disclaimer: All forward-looking roadmap statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of their dates, and they should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
Hi, We are looking for implementing an CPI Service for our client. Is this service is only available on cloud foundry for new customers ?
CPI is available on both Neo and CF. However, since May we offer Cloud Platform Integration Suite (CPIS) for our new customers in Cloud Foundry environment. I will recommend you to check this website to gain the latest service availability information:
Hi - just wanted to clarify - in the Estimator tool it says:
"This service is scheduled to be retired as of February 28th, 2021. It will be available until the end of the current subscription term. It will not be available for renewal terms that begin after the retirement date."
I thought that existing customers would be able to renew - is this not going to be the case?
Could you send me the link of the service so that I can investigate where the notification comes from?
The warning is coming from the cloud platform pricing estimator. And the "learn more" link led to this post.
Hi Bohan and Chris,
I have clarified with our commercialisation team colleague and this statement is relevant only for the CPEA customers. The subscription auto renewal will be still active.
I hope it helps,
We have JAVA applications which run on the JAVA Server service in the Neo environment. as mentioned on this link (https://discovery-center.cloud.sap/serviceCatalog/ae11cc3f-ed4c-406f-a73d-0b46e7ed6826) and according to your article, this service will soon no longer exist. How then to continue to use these applications? We cannot migrate to Cloud Foundry but want to continue using Neo and Java Server ... Do you have any idea ?
For CPEA, no new instances would be possible after renewal, but the subscription customers can continue using the JAVA Server and renewal is allowed.
Hi, by "new instances", you mean that customers will not be able to create new Java Servers from February 28th, 2021, but they still can use the ones they adquired prior to that due date, right?
Are there plans to move the SAP Cloud Platform Forms by Adobe Service to the multi-cloud environment and CF runtime?
I understand from your blogs that new customers without an existing CPEA would only have the option to purchase a subscription from the SAP Store if they want to use services on Neo (given that new CPEA customers must provision any services in data centres that run the multi-cloud environment)?
Thanks for any advice and best regards
thanks for reaching out. We plan to have Adobe service available in the near future in the multi-cloud environment. Regarding the current strategy, the multi-cloud is the default provisioning system for new customers as of July. It indicates that new CPEA customers will by default provisioned on cloud foundry. But we also offer exception for the customers who insisted on using Neo, please advise the customer to consult with their AE.
Thank you for the informative blog. Can you tell when the Forms by Adobe service will be available in Cloud Foundry, and if it will have the same capability as that in Neo?
I was able to find the following in the roadmap explorer, so I'm good:
is there by any chance, that you have any best practices or documentation on migration between Neo SAP Analytics Cloud to Cloud Foundry SAC?
Hi Chia Yu,
Please take a look at our SAC migration journey website and let me know if you have further questions.
Since we introduced the Launchpad service to the Cloud Platform trial environment, we removed the portal service from the trial environment in October 22nd (for new trial accounts)
I will update my blog accordingly to reflect the latest status.
Could you please let me know if you can see Launchpad service in your trial account?
Hi Sandy, If we are migrating from HANA on Neo to HANA cloud on CF environment, can we still access Git Service which is only available in Neo Environment? If yes, is that to be included in a different new contract?
I will check back with the respective HANA team and reply to your question asap.
Thanks for your patience.
What is the solution to replace the SuccessFactors site template from Neo's Portal service which provides a SuccessFactors header around a custom SuccessFactors extension application?
the responsible team mentioned that this is a known topic and they are working with the SFSF team to outline the ‘updated’ strategy for this scenario.
Hi Sandy, how about availability of CPI-DS (Cloud Platform Integration for Data Services) on multi Cloud Environment CF? currently it is available on Neo platform only. Would it be migrated to CF soon? or will there be an alternative service provided for this?
CPI-DS is available only on NEO platform, there is no plan to migrate to CF. Main usecase of CPI-DS is IBP integration , CPI-DS will continue to be available on NEO. You could look into SAP Data Intelligence cloud for CF
I hope it helps.