Onboarding (2.0) with an External HRIS
You can connect with Onboarding (2.0), if you’re using an external Human Resource Information System (HRIS) to store and manage employee data. This topic describes how to integrate an external HRIS with Onboarding (2.0) and what considerations need to be taken care during configuration.
A miniature version of the Employee Central system must be set up as the record system. Employee Central is used to store external HRIS data for Onboarding (2.0) purpose. Employee Central is set up with data models, foundation objects, role-based permission in accordance with the configuration work book. To ensure that data is imported successfully from the external HRIS system, it’s imperative that you have a thorough knowledge of the Employee Central import functionality.
Import Foundation Data
Foundation Data consists of information that defines your company, and everything else related to it such as the organization, job structures, and so on. Foundation Data is commonly shared across the company. Therefore, it’s important to import foundation data before importing employee data. Corporate Data Model must be configured to include the required Foundation Object definitions. You can use pre-configured templates available in Employee Central to import Foundation Data. Each template corresponds to a data object, also known as a Foundation Object (FO). Each Foundation Object stores a specific type of foundation data.
In general, the organization structure is composed of the following Foundation Objects:
Legal Entity (Company)
- Business Unit
- Cost Center
Import Employee Data
Replicate the employee data in EC data structure for existing HRIS users for Onboarding purpose. Employee data from HRIS system should be synced on a regular basis to EC data structures. Import of User population for Onboarding (2.0) purpose (Example – Admin, hiring manager, participants of the onboarding process), New Hire created using Onboarding (2.0) and Hired in External HRIS system will be part of this employee import as well. You can either use API integration or EC import using upload templates to replicate employee data in EC.
These are the minimum of entities (using upload templates/APIs) required to replicate employee data in Employee Central tables:
Note: Make sure you set “Source of Record” field value = “ONB”
Data HRIS Synchronization Job
In a SuccessFactors environment (BizX instance) without EC, Employee Profile (EP) is updated directly during user updates or is being fed with data from the master data source system through an integration interface.
For Employee Central customers, EP is fed with data from EC Database tables through the use of BizX “HRIS Synchronization job”. “Manage Business Configuration” page allows you to configure sync mapping.
You can refer to the existing process to replicate data from External HRIS to Employee central. Please make sure you are setting up minimal EC configuration for Onboarding 2.0 purpose only. https://help.sap.com/doc/c9e69d7412d8447287bf8d5af249f4f2/2005/en-US/SF_EC_Imports_Admin.pdf
Export the new hire data once process is set to Hire status = Ready To Hire
- Build the Outbound integration using Integration Center to export the new hire data to the external Human Resources Information System, once the new hire is ready to be hired.
- Outbound integration can be set up as file export to SFTP location or by API.
- Include Process Id field in Export New hire data file to identify New hire uniquely for integration purpose.
- Make sure you add filter “User-Status” = e so that only Onboarding 2.0 External Users are exported.
- Schedule regular export using setting available in integration center.
- You can restrict new hire data export in next run once it is exported using Time based filter “Modified Since”. You can always do a Modified Since Last runtime filter which will fetch only records that have been changed since the last run time.
Note: Data is exported from Bizx to External HRIS system only for the Hiring Process of New hire (who is still an External User in Bizx) into External HRIS system.
Example of Data Export using Integration Center:
Complete Hiring Process and Generate ID in External HRIS system
Hiring can be completed in external HRIS system once New hire data is exported. Below is the example of data used to generate user record in the Master system.
Send Hiring completion information back to Onboarding using API
Once Hiring is completed in External HRIS system, hiring information needs to be sent back to Onboarding (2.0). For this purpose, “onb2UpdateFromExternalHris” API can be used to send the data back to Onboarding (2.0). ONB Process ID should be set correctly while invoking this API.HRIS system primary id should be mapped to PersonIdExternal in BizX and userStatus must be set to ‘Hired’.
API name – onb2UpdateFromExternalHris
Post hiring in External HRIS
- New hire’s Onboarding process.Hire Status would be set as “Hired” after execution of above API.
- New Hire will be converted from External User to Internal user on day one by conversion job.
- After day 1, New hire should be added in regular data import from External HRIS to Bizx.
- New hire should be able to login with new username set using the API “onb2UpdateFromExternalHris”.
In conclusion, integration of Onboarding (2.0) with External HRIS system can be set up by custom integration. Integration center, Employee Central API’s or Import functionality can be used to build this integration. Onboarding (2.0) process steps remains same prior to candidate is ready to hire in External HRIS system.
I hope, you find this information useful to get started with Onboarding 2.0 integration with External HRIS system.
For more details please check out our product documentation SAP Help Portal .