PMR – Blog Series Part 7
The reliability engineer has completed the analysis and published the assessment. With that reliability engineer also sets the status of the recommendation as open, hence we move to the step 5 to implement these recommendations.
The responsibility of implementing the recommendations lies with the maintenance planner. The maintenance planner will go through all the open recommendation and take the decision whether to implement it or not. Recommendation can be implemented through three ways-
- Instructions – this recommendation can be linked or matched to an existing instruction. Maintenance planner can also create a instruction if an appropriate one is not available.
- Notifications – based on the recommendation, set of notifications can be created which can be executed. This is a beta feature currently.
- SAP PM – Recommendation can be executed by maintaining the maintenance plan, task list, operations. Currently you can download the recommendation details in an excel and through a custom program in SAP PM, customers can update the respective objects.
Now, as a maintenance planner, I would look at the PMR application and start with the recommendation created in the RCM application.
- I notice that “recoating methods” recommendation is very high in cost and reduction in the risk is minimum. The frequency is also high, hence the total cost to execute the recommendation is also high. Hence I will reject the recommendation. While rejecting the recommendation I can give more details. The entire recommendation life cycle changes are tracked in the timeline of the recommendation.
- Also, “replacing internal elements” is created from FMEA & RCM assessment, hence I will reject one here and implement the other one via instructions. The decision on the preventive recommendation are taken
- Now, going further ahead, I decide that both the corrective recommendation should be implemented. However both are created from a placeholder instruction, hence I will create a instruction and this instruction will be linked with the recommendation for the “change sensor’ recommendation.
- For the the last corrective recommendation, I will try to match with an existing instruction. The system has given me three suggestion, I will proceed with the i want to execute the recommendation
- With that all the recommendation is covered and finally three recommendation are taken forward for execution.
- Risk Distribution Curve across subclass and all equipment
- Checklist trend in the system
With that, I completed all the six steps in ASPM solution and with all this steps I was able to derive at the optimal maintenance startegy for both of my equipment
- Fire fighting Equipment – I will continue with daily and monthly checklist assessment. Based on the gas & nozzle functioning, I will be able to take a quick actions.
- Dewatering Equipment – I will execute the three recommendation which the maintenance planner had suggested.
Series 1: Brief Overview of ASPM and Master data setup
Series 2: Risk and Criticality (RC)
Series 3: Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA)
Series 4: Checklist Assessment
Series 5: Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM)
Series 7: Preventive Maintenance Review (PMR)
Note – For any abbreviations, please refer the blog series 1
The features and functionality are rich in ASPM, hence I didnt go into each and every features. If you feel you will require details on any particular feature, please add it in the comments and I will be happy to share my knowledge. Also, SAP PM integration is not covered here in detailed, please refer the help documentation for more details.
Good write up of features in ASPM. What would also be great is to illustrate what happens after the optimal strategy is derived, especially in PM since the execution would still happen in the core. The integration of ASPM with PM execution process adds a lot of value.
Yes, Sure. The feature is not available till 2005. It will be available in future release. I will add a blog on the feature post its release.
Thanks for the informative blog. Could you please help us understand, how is the normalized risk score arrived at/calculated in the risk distribution graph?
Overall normalized risk score is calculated -
One more doubt .In the PMR we have an option to put a recommendation to schedule, which changes the status to " Implementation in Progress". How can we change the status of a recommendation to Implemented or completed?
The implementing application can set the status using the API.
When an instructions is linked or created to a recommendation i can select schedule for maintenance which creates a workflow to S4. In the link in the workflow i can open the recommendation. How can i see the instruction linked to this recommendation? It is also not assigned to the workflow as attachment nor is the ID added in the xls created from the recommendation.
Kindly clarify which workflow you are referring here.
I am referring to TS 1800227. In this task a link is directing you from the inbox in S4 system back into the details of the recommendation in IAM. when it is based on an instruction we miss any reference to the linked instruction in the details of the recommendations. The linked instruction is only accessible from the recommendation overview list provided the column is added in this list.
I assume you are referring the source of the recommendation, (recommendation created using a instruction). Yes currently the source is not visible in the S4. It is only available in the recommendation overview page.
I can't see TS 1800227 in my list, do we need to implement any SAP note for this?
Thanks for writing such an informative blog as SAP ASPM is a relatively new module. I would like to ask that what is the next step in PMR once we accept the recommendation as the actual work will be performed in the core SAP EAM module?
You have mentioned in the blog that the recommendation is to be downloaded in excel and then a custom program is to be used to create/update the Plan or Task List? So currently, is this the only way available? Or what is the best-practice to execute the recommendation?
With 2011 release, basis integration is provided with EAM module which can be utilised. If you feel a blog on that would be helpful, please let me know.
If your time permits, then it would great to have a blog on that. Thanks in advance.
There is detailed documentation available - https://help.sap.com/viewer/d4b70336518c495b8370cbaf403accea/2011/en-US/b2bb8912b36f40b1b6267611be0eab32.html
This might help.
Is there any integration with EAM Module available now? Could you help with any documentation on the same. Thankyou
Thankyou. As per the document it is the workflow which is a new functionality which can help set the status of recommendation to implemented.
Is the option to integrate the changes to maintenance plans or task-lists from ASPM planned for a future release?